Why become a member? ×

Advice re Personal Messages

Hutton

When a pm is sent to a fellow bass chatter do they receive notification by email. The reason for asking is that I have sent a few pms and haven't received a reply. When I go to view the pm the receiver has not read it and yet they have been logged on to the forum plenty times.

Edited by Hutton

I have found that I do mostly get an email notification of a private message. But there are times when I don't.

Also sometimes when I have had a new private message, or a reply from a PM from someone then it does not show at the top of the BassChat window. As in I don't get the little red 1 at the top. But when I drill down to the messages then it shows in Bold text as a new message.

Dont forget you dont even have to come on here to read PMS, so there is no easy way to tell if someone has read the message or not.
If you get email alerts its all in those so some people might forget or not bother reading them again on here.

When I first joined BC I used the notification e-mails for everything - I just used to click them to get sent to the appropriate page, replied to the topic and closed the window afterwards.

It was just more convenient than logging onto the site and tracking down posts that people had replied to me on.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403100179' post='2479753']
Dont forget you dont even have to come on here to read PMS, so there is no easy way to tell if someone has read the message or not.
If you get email alerts its all in those so some people might forget or not bother reading them again on here.
[/quote]

I think this is true. What bothers me is that some people do not have the courtesy to reply to a pm when they have been asked something in particular.