Why become a member? ×

Soldering KIts

Clarky72

Looking to get myself a soldering kit, I've seen people rating the kits by Antex & Weller, and saying to avoid eBay/Maplin ones. So for basic guitar wiring it looks like I need about 40/50W to be able to get the wires onto the back of pots, and a chisel tip is best.

Here's the problem, I cant find any reasonably priced kits that have chisel tips, they all have pointed or screwdriver tips. Are all tips generally the same spec, will random no brand tips from Amazon or eBay fit into most irons? Can anyone help?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, feel free to move it if it is...

Hi I am no soldering expert but I have an antex 40W kit and it is bloody hopeless the cable is extremely short and it just feels so cheap and nasty it is OK for soldering wires together but anything more not so much I have heard some good things about the maplin temp controlled irons and tips and stuff seem to be pretty cheap

I have a normal Antex 30W with the smallest flat tip I could find.. anything big just gets in the way. Changing the tip is dead easy. Also have a basic temperature controlled one with a pointy tip, which I use most of the time. Both excellent for guitar wiring and basic amp work.

I bought my Antex iron kit about 35 years ago. I recon it'll see me out. So on this basis, don't skimp. buy a descent one .After all, they're not very expensive.

The Weller soldering stations are brilliant, but for home use they're a bit overkill.

If I were buying now I'd buy this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antex-SK9-Soldering-Iron-Kit/dp/B003IU3XAI/ref=sr_1_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1403442084&sr=1-4&keywords=Antex#productDetails

I have had quite a lot of soldering irons over the years, and was an electronic engineer for a long time. Compared to the stuff that used to exist, you would be hard pressed to get really poor things now.
If you want a high quality solder station, then yes the good makes are great. I have a maplin one. No it isn't as good as the weller one I had last time I was working as an electronic engineer, which cost many hundreds, but it is good enough for what I do now. If you are just doing guitar wiring, you really don't need anything that good.

I have to say if I was buying a soldering iron for this purpose I'd buy a gas powered one like the portasol pro piezo. More powerful and controllable than any electric iron I've used costing less than £200. I'm an electronic engineer by trade too and I've used pretty much everything, Weller, Antex, Metcal (have one of these on long term loan and it's splendid) - best I've used is the one our place has at the minute who's name escapes me. But I know it's north of £300. Gas irons are very handy bits of kit, just be careful which way the heater port (on the side near the tip) is pointed when working in tight spaces like a control cavity, near plastic parts or guitar finishes...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1403439655' post='2482647']
Hi I am no soldering expert but I have an antex 40W kit and it is bloody hopeless the cable is extremely short ..
[/quote]

In Britain the Electrical good standards dictate maximum lengths of cables for many goods. This includes kettles, toasters, and soldering irons.

Buy an extension lead... or take one out of your gigging kit!

Hey, maybe that's why the Scots want independence; longer leads on soldering irons!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1403596197' post='2484152']
So if I bought an Antex 30W soldering iron would most replacement tips fit, are they universal sizes?
[/quote]
1 - Antex have been going a long time and I doubt it will be a problem.
2 - I'm an ex-electronics engineer and I've never replaced the tip on an iron.

Use a damp soldering sponge (or an old damp rag) to keep the tip clean and it'll be fine.

Watts - the higher the wattage the faster it heats. Either will get to the heat you need. If you're only wanting it for doing the occasional bass re-wire and a few other stuff you come across, then don't go mad. 30W will be fine.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1403596653' post='2484157']
1 - Antex have been going a long time and I doubt it will be a problem.
2 - I'm an ex-electronics engineer and I've never replaced the tip on an iron.

Use a damp soldering sponge (or an old damp rag) to keep the tip clean and it'll be fine.

Watts - the higher the wattage the faster it heats. Either will get to the heat you need. If you're only wanting it for doing the occasional bass re-wire and a few other stuff you come across, then don't go mad. 30W will be fine.
[/quote]

Thanks! The reason I ask about changing tips is that I can't find one that comes with a chisel tip and I was told that is the ideal tip for the type of soldering I'm looking to do. Would the tip that comes on this iron be suitable then? [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/antex-30w-soldering-iron-includes-stand-n11by"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/antex-30w-soldering-iron-includes-stand-n11by[/url]

I'd go for this one:
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/antex-25w-soldering-iron-type-xs-silicone-cable-nd94c"]http://www.maplin.co...one-cable-nd94c[/url]

The tip is the one you want. Also, it comes with a silicon cable.

PVC heat resist cables that come on irons are stiff and don't flex well. silicon ones bend better and give you better control over the iron, especially in cold weather.
OK, you'll need to add a stand to the order, but I wish I'd got one with a silicon lead.

Edit: If you look after it, you won't ever need another iron. So buy the right one.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1403594742' post='2484135']
In Britain the Electrical good standards dictate maximum lengths of cables for many goods. This includes kettles, toasters, and soldering irons.

Buy an extension lead... or take one out of your gigging kit!

Hey, maybe that's why the Scots want independence; longer leads on soldering irons!
[/quote] I did not know that those standards dictated length and I do use a decent extension lead :) to me though the Antex does feel quite flimsy but in all fairness for the price it cost maybe I have been a little unfair on it :o

I've been using a Maplins variable temp one like this for years:

YMMV, but I'd not exchange it for a more expensive one - never had any problems with it.

Changed the tip once as it got dinked when a hammer fell on it.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1403603356' post='2484268']
I've never had a problem soldering on to the back of pots using a 25 watt iron. I use old fashioned tin/lead solder and clean the back of the pot with a bit of sandpaper first.
[/quote]
I have used an Antex 18w for the last twenty years and I have never had a problem either.

I like the size and shape of the Antex, too, it feels more like using a pen, more natural. Before that I used a couple of others in that horrid, clunky, trumpet shape that felt like I was doing it while wearing thick gloves. If you see what I mean?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1403601297' post='2484230']
I did not know that those standards dictated length and I do use a decent extension lead :) to me though the Antex does feel quite flimsy but in all fairness for the price it cost maybe I have been a little unfair on it :o
[/quote]
It's a long time ago, but I used to work for a TV manufacturer. If I recall correctly the longest a TV lead can be is 2M. I think on a kettle it's 1M. But, as I say; it's a long time.

Actually its a long time since ANYONE in the UK worked in a TV factory!

Edit: God, I must sound old.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1403612971' post='2484446']

YMMV, but I'd not exchange it for a more expensive one - never had any problems with it.

[/quote] I think if I ever buy another I would go for one of those too and they are only about £20 so that is quite a fair price

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1403612971' post='2484446']

[/quote]

Yep, that is the one I have, although mine is grey, but otherwise looks the same.