Why become a member? ×

Rad & Trad at the same time

Happy Jack

I can already foresee the replies to this thread :D :D :D

Personally as much as I don't really like the blue they are completely right, guitars need to move into new materials to preserve the dwindling wood stocks.

It probably feels quite nice under the fingers.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1403521072' post='2483433']
I think this looks great, and like that it's available in other colours. I wonder how it feels, and more importantly whether and how it contributes to tone?...

If such a thing can play any part in cutting down (especially illegal) rosewood logging, then it's fine by me!
[/quote]

As we discussed in the Fender vs Squier thread the woods do nothing to the tone and hence it could be made of cardboard provided the pickups and electronics where good quality

:yarr:

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1403522314' post='2483454']
As we discussed in the Fender vs Squier thread the woods do nothing to the tone and hence it could be made of cardboard provided the pickups and electronics where good quality

[/quote]

I wouldn't say that a Fender vs. Squier comparison demonstrates that different materials can never affect the tone. What it demonstrates is that the variation in materials between those two is too small make a significant difference. But as an example, you'd have a hard time convincing me that changing a wooden Fender neck for a carbon fibre Status neck does not change the tone so I think it's a valid question to ask when introducing radically different materials like synthetics, particularly in the neck.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

The whole rosewood/maple thing has never really impressed me much. A vibrating bass string does its vibrating between a fret and a bridge saddle. If the string comes into contact with the fretboard material then it makes a horrible buzzing noise.

End of.

Now if we're talking fretless basses, then it's a whole other thing of course.

I've played fretted basses with fretboards made of maple, rosewood, ebony, graphite, ebanol, you name it. None of them sounded sufficiently different from each other to attract the slightest attention on a Saturday night at the Dog & Duck.

I like that wild blue Hofner stuff because it's wild and it's blue. I doubt it will sound any different.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1403522314' post='2483454']

[/quote]

You seem to state it as though we were all in complete agreement on the matter, which is of course nonsense.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1403648086' post='2485010']
You seem to state it as though we were all in complete agreement on the matter, which is of course nonsense.
[/quote]

Some people are just too invested in the matrix to come out :yarr:

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Morpheus-Red-or-Blue-Pill-the-matrix-1957140-500-568.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Morpheus-Red-or-Blue-Pill-the-matrix-1957140-500-568.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I like, I think it's great that a manufacturer is pushing things forward in this way, except it's Hofner, still trading off the back of a band that are more than 50 years old to some degree with a design even older than that. And as for their other models, they all look like the 1960s. I'd like to see them pushing things forward with the shape design and spec.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1403715255' post='2485589']
Anyone actually know what Necuron 840 is?
[/quote]

Just had a look and it is a polyurethane based material - German company making different forms of this material for different uses. Should be able to recycle it so hopefully a good move forward.

http://necumer.com/images/Downloads/DB/us/NECURON_840_sdb.pdf

Edited by Mykesbass