Why become a member? ×

When Setting Up - String Condition?

spongebob

I do some basic set-up and adjustments from home, but my Ric is going to a luthier next month for a bit of a mod, and as such, I'll get it properly set-up again when it's there.

However - I've always assumed (and got told this once) that the bass should be set-up with used strings, not a brand new set.

Is this actually true? I re-strung last week and gigged it, and I've got a couple more before it goes in.So they'll be nicely bedded in and a bit sweaty before the work is done.

Just wanted to check this is the right way, and not to get it done with a shiny brand new set?

I've never heard that. To be honest when I used to take my instruments in for maintenance/set-ups they would usually add the cost of a set of strings and ask what i used. Or if they couldn't get them they'd ask me to supply a set.

i think it's customary to take it in with old strings on and they will change as part of the setup process because they would need to come off to do any work anyway...

I'd expect to check the intonation after changing strings as there might be slight changes in string characteristics from one set to another even of the same gauge from the same manufacturer and obviously if changing gauge or manufacturer then I'd definitely expect to tweak the setup of a bass as appropriate to the strings it carries.

New strings.
Bizarrely - I was once shown this by one of my set-up-wizard friends - the kinking of the string caused by playing can spoil the setup.
Also they stretch, and eventually that becomes uneven stretch hence causes problems with intonation.

Interesting responses.

I think it was an old tech that said to aways bring a bass with used strings, as it'll set up better if they're worn in, kind of always stuck with me.

I'm edging on the side of new at the mo. Bass is having new pckups installed, and new (replacement) bridge saddles, so a set-up is a must after all that!

The only thing that a bedded-in set of strings might have compared to a new set is that they'll likely have a more definite witness point where they sit on the bridge saddle but when you know this then it becomes second nature to push the string down where it breaks over the saddle, in much the same way you'll pull on the strings to get the initial stretch out of them when new.