Why become a member? ×

Bass dilemma

JamesBass

So I've currently got a 2012 Limited Edition Walnutburst Rickenbacker 4003 hanging on my wall along with a MIM P resting on my stand, when I first bought my Rickenbacker it was all that I played, however since buying the P I've had the realisation that I am without doubt a P bass kind of bloke. Now, I'm planning as a 21st birthday present to myself as well as from my family to get a limelight 62 P made, but currently I'm between jobs and am not the most financially well off person with car tax looming round the corner, I could use some funds.

My dilemma is do I shift my Ric on and go back down to 1 bass until I can afford to order the Limelight? Or do I try and sell my practice amp and make do with just using my CTM300, and also sell my squire P which is currently earmarked for my first self-mod/self-build project and forego that project? I don't really play the Ric anymore but when I sounded out a trade value for another P bass I was getting offered significantly less than £1k!

If I do swap it in, where's the best place to get my money back/a trade?

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1404861722' post='2496566'] I don't really play the Ric anymore but when I sounded out a trade value for another P bass I was getting offered significantly less than £1k!

If I do swap it in, where's the best place to get my money back/a trade?
[/quote]

From what I've heard, Mark at Limelight is pretty generous when it comes to trades in exchange for his basses... Maybe drop Discreet a PM on that subject?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1404887187' post='2496632']
if you don't really have the $$ what advantage will the limelight P give you that your current one doesn't?
[/quote]

I gigged for 2 years with a secondhand Squier VMJ because it was all I could afford. It was really hard because people would come up to me at every gig and tell me that I would be a really good player if I had a proper bass, and that by using a Squier I'd ruined the whole evening for them...

...Not really. [u]When[/u] I had the money I bought a [s]better[/s] more expensive bass, the only person that noticed was me.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1404904701' post='2496809']people would come up to me at every gig and tell me that I would be a really good player if I had a proper bass, and that by using a Squier I'd ruined the whole evening for them...
[/quote]

:lol:

You already know the answer.

If the Ric is just hanging on the wall and is only ever likely to do so, then it's a very expensive piece of artwork. Sell it.

Whether you buy the Limelight or not is then up to you & your family.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404895422' post='2496690']
From what I've heard, Mark at Limelight is pretty generous when it comes to trades in exchange for his basses... Maybe drop Discreet a PM on that subject?
[/quote]

I'm sure Mark would offer you a generous PX allowance on the Ric. No harm in asking him. If you're liking a MIM P then you will love a Limelight P. Mind you I love my Limelight Jazz so I'm biased - probably best to get a few more opinions! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1404887187' post='2496632']
if you don't really have the $$ what advantage will the limelight P give you that your current one doesn't?
[/quote]
I've always wanted one P for flats and one for rounds, my MIM is lovely with rounds on but isn't as amazing with flats on unfortunately so a nice one for flats would be ideal!

If a MIM P 'outguns' your 2012 Limited Edition Walnutburst Rickenbacker 4003 then do you really need that custom build P (unless of course you've already played a Limelight P bass and found it blows your MIM out of the water)? But whether you get another P bass or not it looks like the Ric is going to a new home...

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1404923215' post='2497049']
If a MIM P 'outguns' your 2012 Limited Edition Walnutburst Rickenbacker 4003 then do you really need that custom build P (unless of course you've already played a Limelight P bass and found it blows your MIM out of the water)? But whether you get another P bass or not it looks like the Ric is going to a new home...
[/quote]
I wouldn't say it sounds the better of the two, just more comfortable to play.

Getting a Limelight would just allow me to have that vintage feel and have a bass to have flats on. The MIM just doesn't suit flats.

Obviously you know best what you need bass wise but I will say; don't over stretch yourself to buy another one if its at all likely that you'll run out if money in the near future. You'll end up needing to sell the new one too and take a massive hit on it as the depreciation from new is huge.

Personally I'd sell the ric if you're not using it or look swap it either on here (no rule against pm'ing trade options with p sellers) or with mark at limelight (I was tempted by that fiesta red p he had and I'm a jazz man!).