Why become a member? ×

Guitar gear - different world!

Musicman20

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1405664076' post='2504075']
Our guitars brought a new combo the other week, I swear it weighs more than all my gear put together.
[/quote] we used to lug this mental heavy 2x12 Fender Deville combo - two man lift most the time. Played a gig with a bigger band and helped them unload - it was funny how their Fender blues jr. sounded pretty much the same by the time you had mic'ed it and put it via the PA!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1405667106' post='2504092']
we used to lug this mental heavy 2x12 Fender Deville combo - two man lift most the time. Played a gig with a bigger band and helped them unload - it was funny how their Fender blues jr. sounded pretty much the same by the time you had mic'ed it and put it via the PA!
[/quote]

Yes, I'm finding this when gigging with a small 1x10" 15 watt valve amp. It doesn't sound as big or authoritative in the room as a 2x12" would, but the sound delivered via an SM58 an inch or two away is just fine and that's really what counts at most gigs. And in many smaller unmic'ed gigs it's enough for the room anyway. In an ideal world I'd pull out a Twin Reverb for the larger rooms, but I seem to get by without...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405666069' post='2504085']
Yes, we have a Laney VC50, too..! :lol:
[/quote]

I had the 50 watt head and that was the same weight as a small planet, can`t imagine what the combo must be like (well maybe a large planet).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405771899' post='2505114'] I had the 50 watt head and that was the same weight as a small planet, can`t imagine what the combo must be like (well maybe a large planet). [/quote]

When I ordered my Laney VC50, it arrived by UPS. At the time I lived in an old block of apartments, no lift, narrow steep staircase, on a third floor that was like a fourth floor as the ceilings were high. The UPS guy refused to take it upstairs. He showed me the package and said "I'm not taking it up there. I can take it away and you collect it from the depot at your convenience, or I can leave it here with you here on the floor, but I won't take it up there". I wanted my amp, I was not going to let it go. So he unloaded it and away he went. Now, those of you who have met me know I am not a big guy. But I lifted it onto my shoulder, and took it all the way up to my flat. Then I decided that this amp had to stay in the rehearsal place, because I could not face doing that everytime I wanted to use my amp.
Heavy beasts!

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1405787046' post='2505271']...But I lift it onto y shoulder, and took it all the way to my flat...[/quote]

Now [i]that [/i]really [i]is [/i]devotion..! B)

Do you still use crutches, or have the bones knitted..? :lol: