Why become a member? ×

Help with album from around late '80s

Roland Rock

I'm hoping that the BC Indie Aficionado Posse can help with a memory from my teens.

I had an album on tape around 1990. I'm sure it had 'Wire' scribbled on it, but listening to Wire now I'm sure that's not right. Here's what I know, or what my memory tells me:

- I had the tape in 1990, so think it dates from then, or the late '80s

-The album was interspersed with samples of Hal from the film 2001: A Space Oddesy

- The music was extremely fuzz guitar. Think Jesus and Mary Chain mixed with Spiritualized

That's it. Any help gratefully received!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1405579311' post='2503145']
Skinny Puppy? [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinny_Puppy"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinny_Puppy[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Clarky. I did come across them when searching for album with the Hal samples, but pretty sure that's not it. This music was more indie fuzz, less beat-driven and not electronic at all*

*from memory

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1405580823' post='2503152']
Heavens End by Loop ?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqZiRIAXbA[/media]
[/quote]

BOOM! That's the one. Thanks very much. I've just listened to it at work, and the memories of teenage moody rebellion came flooding back*.

Funny how the name switched in my head from 'loop' to 'wire' :-D
I'm pleased to discover that's it's the same as I remember, and a good album which doesn't seem to have dated at all.

Thanks B.I.A.P and especially Ahpook
:-)

*Growing my hair as close to a Curehead as my school would allow, getting my mum to help tie die my t shirts, listening to lots of Carter USM and Mega City Four, and not revising for my GCSEs.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1405589041' post='2503260']
BOOM! That's the one. Thanks very much. I've just listened to it at work, and the memories of teenage moody rebellion came flooding back.

Funny how the name switched in my head from 'loop' to 'wire' :-D

Thanks B.I.A.P and especially Ahpook
:-)
[/quote]

Teenage rebellion ? More reminds me of long nights.....um.....'meditating' with a lava lamp ;)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1405589389' post='2503265']
Haha, I've edited to clarify a bit more :-)
[/quote]

That's more like it !

:)

I used to love Loop - saw them live many times...brilliant live band. Heavy as hell, but brilliant. The Peel Sessions album 'Wolf Flow' has some much beefier versions of some of the earlier material...well worth a listen.

Let's have some more eh ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlTbuLSIMU

Edited by ahpook

I was going to suggest Loop until I scrolled down. They're back together again and gigging. Got absolutely hooked on them around the time of the Collision single, which came out while I was at sixth form college, and by coincidence our local heroes were Mega City Four.

Thanks for reminding me what a great band they are!
I think I'm gonna put them on tonight - oh no wait, tonight I'm gonna see another band from those times: the Young Gods, playing there first two albums "The Young Gods" ('87) and "L'eau rouge" ('89).
I like this kinda stuff.