Why become a member? ×

Digging in vs Turning up

Mykesbass

I was reading about the point/use of ramps on here recently and was intrigued by the idea that people wanted to stop themselves "digging in". I must admit, I've always been a bit of a "digger in" feeling that this was the way to get the energy required to drive songs along. Having read these earlier posts, last night at an open air gig (and our first all electric gig for some time) I decided to turn up and back off - what a revelation! So much easier, tone with the amp set louder seemed much nicer and it didn't seem to compromise the music in the slightest!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1405852318' post='2505722']
...last night at an open air gig (and our first all electric gig for some time) I decided to turn up and back off - what a revelation! So much easier, tone with the amp set louder seemed much nicer and it didn't seem to compromise the music in the slightest!
[/quote]

There is certainly a lot to be said for that, but in my view it depends largely on what genre of music you're playing. I find it useful (in a rock band) to be able to set my gear for a bit of break-up and heft when I dig in, so I can control the dynamics and sound of the bass purely with my fingers.

But I don't see any advantages to this approach if you're playing Jazz, or Reggae, for example...

Digging in as a way to accent a few notes and alter the dynamics, as opposed to digging in all the time are different things.

I think digging in all the time you risk hurting yourself, let the amp do the work.

I have a ramp on my bass, it just evens the dynamics, I can still dig in for a part if I want.

I've been doing some solo recording recently, and have set my distortion pedal so it only comes in where I play harder.

:)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1405852820' post='2505731']

I think digging in all the time you risk hurting yourself, let the amp do the work.

:)
[/quote]

Yes, this is where I was getting it wrong - always ran the amp too quiet and played too physically. Definitely going to keep working with the amp more from now on.

I`ve always been a bit of a caveman, digging in far too hard. But last year we rehearsed on what seemed the hottest day ever, on the whole planet. So I thought, usual style too energy consuming, so turned up and hit less neanderthally. A revelation, better tone, I was able to get better dynamics, and I sweated less. All of which was nice.

Have I learned my lesson - well no, as my current band needs all-out-warfare-style. But should I play in a less all-out type band in the future, turning up and playing softer will be may way forwards.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1405881837' post='2506130']
Turning up is always an advantage if you want to stay in the band..shoddy attendance tends to be frowned upon...
[/quote]
Nah, that's just down to the paranoia often associated with Marvins :P

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1405897034' post='2506357']
Do both and the rest of the band will think you're awesome.
[/quote]
+1
I like to dig in. I also like to play very softly. It's great if you can get both into the same song (e.g. Radar Love, great crescendo from pp to ff after the drum solo)

Dynamics = interest

I find that having teh amp louder and digging in less means you have MORE dynamic control rahter than less. If you have to dig in to get heard, you have nowhere to go in terms of accents etc. If you are playing gently and being heard, you can easily make a note pop out with just your fingers. The best parallel I can think of is a snare drummer. YOu can play an even roll at one level and then play accents by hitting that little bit harder to make a beat stand out. If ALL of the beats are loud, you cannot draw attention to one accented note.

Turn up and play softer.

Pretty much as Bilbo says... I like to turn up and have greater control of the dynamics with my fingers.

The tunes in my current band range from just me and a quiet acoustic to full band loud and heavy, so I need a broad range of volume levels in the set.... I've always struggled with compressors for this reason.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1405955467' post='2506893']
If I'm noodling about at home or during band practice I have the amp turned up and dig in less (using it for accents and the like).
What I need to stop is the, adrenalin fueled, digging in during gigs... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think that is where the technique will go and we find that we can't play as precise as hard..

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1405955791' post='2506897']
Pretty I've always struggled with compressors for this reason.
[/quote]
Would a limiter help or a comp with a 'knee'? I've just got a vague idea of those concepts btw...

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1405956938' post='2506913']
Would a limiter help or a comp with a 'knee'? I've just got a vague idea of those concepts btw...
[/quote]

I'm sure it's just I've not been using them right but I've always found limiting the dynamic range to be a hindrance rather than a help....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1405957225' post='2506917']

I'm sure it's just I've not been using them right but I've always found limiting the dynamic range to be a hindrance rather than a help....
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that what the knee bit is for so the comp can leave the dynamic unchanged up to a certain dB and only apply compression over that so just taming the loudest bits