Why become a member? ×

Struggling to find what I'm looking for

Hector

Hi all,

Getting a bit frustrated with my mid 90s yamaha trb6-II. Great sound, but the 35 inch scale length kills my hands. I do a lot of little 3 note chordal comping, and love to solo up on the high C, but everything's a bit more of a stretch than I'd like.

I'm looking for a 5er to string E-C (I have a different bass for situations in which the low B might be handy), either 34 or 33 inch scale, preferably with 24 frets and a decent cutaway. I can only really afford to spend about £100 more than whatever my yamaha might get second hand (just bought a different bass for more 'traditional' playing situations).

Any thoughts about something that might fit the bill?

There are lots of 5 strings out there at 35 inches, but 34 is rare and 33 is out of the question as far as I know.

I believe that the whole Ibanez SR range is 34".

The ones I have are all 34" and all fantastic. The SR1206 I have is a beauty and the SR1205 is the best bass I have ever played. Note that they are the 90s versions that are neck-through, not the new line with the same model numbers.

Thanks JimBob will have a read about the older Ibanez ranges.

BT: I would actually prefer a bit more freedom than the TRB allows me at the moment if possible - I have a thumpy old p bass and a bright snappy jazz bass in the stable to cover the classic bass sounds, but I would use a replacement for the 6 for less of a traditional bass player sort of role - higher melodic playing and chordal comping in the upper register. It's not totally a dealbreaker though.

This might well be just the thing, although I suspect a lot more expensive than what you had in mind:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/241270-overwater-scott-devine-signature/

Also worth a look are shorter scale ACGs, which occasionally come up for sale 2nd hand on BC. From what I have seen he has a real knack with shorter-scale extended range basses. But again I suspect that these too will fall outside your budget. TBH I think you'll struggle to find what you are looking for at used TRB prices, but good luck with it anyway and let us know if you find 'the one'!

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1406274284' post='2509932']
I believe that the whole Ibanez SR range is 34".

The ones I have are all 34" and all fantastic. The SR1206 I have is a beauty and the SR1205 is the best bass I have ever played. Note that they are the 90s versions that are neck-through, not the new line with the same model numbers.
[/quote]
This is the logical reply. I tried extremely hard to live with the Yamaha trb basses but the 35 scale on this model felt so wrong. I found exactly what I wanted with the Ibanez sr1205.

You may actually find that it's the string spacing that's affecting you more than the scale length.

34" to 35" is only an inch spread across the fretboard, I don't notice switching from 34" scale to 35" and back again, but I did find the spacing on the TRB6 that I had to be somewhat awkward, and the fingerboard radius is very flat.

I've said many times that you need to try as many 6's as possible before buying one.

Graft spec ACGs start at £875 (£795 for passive) for a 33" 5er with 2 band EQ, tuned E-C if that's what you want.
All models have 24 frets and good access to the dusty end.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Alan's basses :)

Eude

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1406296146' post='2510320']
20mm? Whoa, that is super-wide! I always thought MTD 6ers (like mine) were considered to have fairly wide spacing at 18mm!
[/quote]

What MTD have you got ?

I'd love one of the Andrew Gouche Kingston models.

The Yamaha TRB6 was truly an amazing bass, I was really loathe to sell it. I had it advertised 2 or 3 times and changed my mind, the spacing was too wide though.

Edited by ambient

I have a Kingston Andrew Gouche 5 string and absolutely love it - it's been my main gigging bass ever since I bought it. Hands down the grooviest sounding bass I have ever heard or played, with an astonishing number of different (but equally good) funk and slap tones. But very versatile, too - it can do almost anything except a Stingray sound (and I have a Ray for that anyway!). And the asymmetrical neck I find is a revelation - so comfortable, and it really does promote good technique by keeping your thumb lower down on the back. Highly recommended.

My sixer is a secondhand MTD KZ6, upgraded with Nordstrand Dual Blade Neos (as recommended by Mark at Bassdirect). Awesomely powerful sound!