Why become a member? ×

WESTBURY TRACK IV FRETLESS BASS GUITAR MADE BY MATSUMOKU IN JAPAN

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/westbury-track-iv-fretless-bass-guitar-made-by-matsumoku-in-japan/1074470255

I thought I'd posted this earlier but it disappeared...

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"1981 WESTBURY TRACK IV FRETLESS BASS GUITAR MADE BY MATSUMOKU JAPAN [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Westbury Bass guitars are some of the most overlooked vintage guitars out there , many enthusiasts, myself included, consider these to be superior to the American Fenders and Gibsons of the era. This particular one is modelled on the Gibson Clipper. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Extremely high quality craftsmanship, advanced designs (no longer just copies) and superior materials (including killer Dimarzio USA pickups and Schaller machine heads) make these guitars. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Track IV was the top of the range and features: [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]SET NECK - Dimarzio Pickups - Schaller machine heads - Coil split switching on each pickup - Fully adjustable bridge - Carved Top - Quality Hardware throughout. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]The DiMarzio Pickups really packs a punch, this bass delivers a lovely fat round sound but turn up the treble it cuts through like an knife when needed. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]This particular model has been set up as a fretless bass guitar, complete with tape wound strings, the work involved in doing this is truly spectacular, with thin slithers of coloured hard wood inserted into fret grooves, the bridge has been replaced recently as there was a micro crack on one of the string seats. The guitar comes with a KACES III strong gun type case which is in reasonable gcondition given that it is probably original. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I accept Paypal and the guitar can be delivered to most UK mainland destinations for £25."[/size][/font][/color]

Would be a good price in original condition, unfortunately this one's not.

De-frets on basses like this tend to hail from an era when they were regarded as throwaway junk, and treated as such. It's unlikely to be a great job, and massively devalues the bass. Hardware isn't original (although the bridges used by Matsumoku at this point were crap) and Schaller tuners weren't standard, it should have Westbury-logo'd Gotohs.

The case isn't really a selling point, but this would have been sold in a hard case with a Westbury logo, not some padded plastic bag, no matter how "original" it is.

Far too expensive and far too much of a project. Which is a shame as I have a bit of Westy Track IV GAS (to go with my Track 2 & Westbury Standard) - but not this one, even if it is just down the road from me. :(

And what the hell is a "Gibson Clipper"?

Jon.