Why become a member? ×

Body refinish good idea or bad?

Pinball

Hi, I have a Warwick FNA that is getting a lot of love at the moment like this one:

[url="http://www.doctorbass.net/en/c/?iddoc=1000167694"]http://www.doctorbas...ddoc=1000167694[/url]

The only thing is that I wish it were black or maybe dark red red or blue because I'm just not into light coloured basses. I've only had it a year so don't have the original spec but it looks like a wax finish rather than varnish to me. Assuming it is it should be straightforward to clean and stain in a colour that I like.

Am I right or wrong and what problems do I need to look out for?

Edited by Pinball

Difficult to tell what finish it is - Warwick use both poly and wax finishes, but most likely wax. A flame maple top would look great if it were stained black first, sanded back and then stained with a colour. The issue is what you'd need to do to get to that point. The original finish needs to be completely removed otherwise the stain wont take properly and it'll end up looking blotchy. Wax is best done using a wax remover and steel wool, followed by a light sanding with 180 grit and a thorough sanding with 240 and 320 grits, and then you're not guaranteed a good result because Warwick put their wax on as liquid so that it soaks in to the wood. If you use a spirit based stain then you'd stand a better chance of getting a result than a water based one I think. Rewaxing is a doddle. Two or three coats of a good finishing oil such as Liberon, a day apart, followed by a couple of coats of a good wax and you're done. There are several good videos on FaceTube about staining.

Or take it to a pro....

Thanks, thats encouraging. The maple looks like it is a really close tight grain so hopefully the wax won't be too deep. There is a dark band of 1-2mm between the maple cap and back so in theory I should be able to do only the front id I'm really carful. if it doesn't work I could do the back too but I think that is going to be trickier to get right.
I'm going to wait a bit though as I'm hoping to use this to record later this year. It may have to be a winter project. Sounds like fun!

Any recommendations for wax remover?

Note: I would sell and get another but there aren't many non-jazzman FNA's around. Anyway I like this one and it has a bart pre-amp in it.

Edited by Pinball

yeah - it's a few weeks work so if you need it to record with, defo hold off.

Yes you could use the pinstripe veneer as a barrier. The Ash body will take the stain differently and the contrast would look great. I'd strip the whole body (or at least enough so the masking tape will stick and a light strip on the rest) and mask off when staining. Use the blue making tape and burnish the edges well, or PVC insulating tape works well too because you can stretch it around curves. The extra work will make a much better finish in the end.

I'm a fan of the Liberon range and they do a good wax remover, but the Colron stuff you can buy from B&Q is probably the same in a different tin.

Good luck - and buy some thermals if you're doing it in the garage over the winter ;)

P

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1406981504' post='2516410']
[attachment=168201:703945_809997128.jpg]
[/quote]

Thanks, that looks a bit over complicated Paul as I would have trouble deciding which end of the Marker to use.

Hehe :)

I actually love the colour of this (and love the black sticker you put on it to mimic a sound hole!) but I do have a preference for darker woods like your Ibby. I'm not sure if I'd change it but I'm also tempted to see how it goes as I fancy getting my SB320 changed from stained brown to stained-nicer-colour (deep wine red like my old fretless).

I like it but I'm pale skinned and grey haired and I don't want to look like "the ghost bass player" on stage.

It's much less anaemic with the "badger hole" sticker on it. Note: its a black circular sticker that I put below the strings so that it looks like the first ever acoustic Warwick FNA bass.

The badger reference is my band The Angry Badgers.

If it was hard coat finish I wouldn't bother

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1406970145' post='2516279']
A flame maple top would look great if it were stained black first, sanded back and then stained with a colour.

[/quote]

I like that sound of that a lot!

Rubbing down the current finish, staining with whatever colour wood dye you like, then doing a Danish oil & wax finish over the top would be much much easier. Shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 days either.
I use the B&Q Colron stains and Danish oil and it is excellent. For wax, always Briwax.

Thanks, I have a plan in my head. Stain the front black and sand it back a little to show off the grain. If I'm blown away by that then I'll maybe just finish off in that colour but I may continue and sand away a little more down the center of the guitar, from the neck to the bridge and then apply a red stain. I'll just leave the back as it is.

It should be a fun project

Edited by Pinball