Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3: Taming output

uncle psychosis

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Hey folks[/font][/color]
I've got a B3 that I've been mainly using as a practice tool. I've got it plugged into a small mixer via the balanced out connector for headphone practice and playing along to records.[/font][/color]
I recently bought a G&L M-2000 and the output from this bass is really hot. Much, much hotter than any of my other basses. My mixer is clipping because the signal is way too loud, even with all of the effects on the B3 off. [/font][/color]
I'm a bit of a dunce at these things, whats the best way to adjust things? Turn down the gain on the mixer channel? Turn down the global B3 level? Turn down the patch level? If it makes any difference I'd like to use the same settings when I plug into an amp or DI straight to the PA. [/font][/color]

What other basses are you going to run with the B3? If you have different incoming signal levels and want to swap between basses then you might have to set up parallel patches but with the levels adjusted for whichever bass you want to run. Or just turn the volume down on the G&L. My Zoom B9.1ut is supposed to have an initial input gain set depending on whether you want to run a passive or an active instrument into it but the output from my only passive bass is as hot (if not a little hotter) than my actives so I'm not faced with this problem (yet).