Why become a member? ×

Rod Stewart BBC4 tonight - Friday 8th August

casapete

Some BC people may be interested in tonight's evening of Rod Stewart stuff on BBC4.

First up at 21.25 is the Alan Yentob documentary 'Can't stop me now' - a repeat but quite interesting.
Following that is 'Rod at the BBC', starting at 22.50. A new compilation, should be lots of Faces
& Ronnie Lane with a bit of luck. Then at 23.50 there is 'Sings the American Songbook', ( which
for me is probably best avoided!)

Cheers.

Looking forward to this. I read Rods autobiography and he comes across as a really ordinary bloke who can`t quite believe his luck at the way his life has turned out. Makes a change from the tales of woe and excess that most rock star autobiographies usually are. Sure there are a good few tales told, but at the end of it you get the feeling that if you met him you`d just get on with him.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407508214' post='2521331']
I'd only watch it for the Faces. Fantastic band . . . Always seemed on the verge of losing it yet somehow always held things together. Wonderfully 'loose' but tight at the same time.
[/quote]

Yeh me too. I'm a massive Faces fan and IMHO Rod was at his peak when he was with them. Unfeasibly cool.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1407746624' post='2523455']
Recently read Midge Ures autobiography and he says the only star he ever met who was an absolute asshole was Rodney.
Said that Clapton and Elton John were there and they apologised for him.
[/quote]

EC and EJ apologising for someone else being an @rse, thats rich.

Whether you think he's an ordinary bloke who lucked out or an arse (or both) is largely irrelevant. And you could say some of his hits are questionable taste-wise for sure, and his so-called private life doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, but you can't deny that he has, or had, one of the most seminal rock voices in the history of the genre. When you hear that voice you just know it can't be anyone else. An original talent and a total one-off.

Edited by discreet

Atlantic Crossing is a classic album.
Some top tunes played by a lot of well known players of the time,
and all very well arranged.

Rod Stewart - vocals
Pete Carr - acoustic guitar and electric guitar on Sailing[7]
Jesse Ed Davis - guitars
Steve Cropper - guitars
Fred Tackett, guitars
Jimmy Johnson - guitars
Barry Beckett - keyboards
Albhy Galuten - keyboards
Donald "Duck" Dunn - bass
Lee Sklar - bass
Bob Glaub - bass
David Hood - bass
David Lindley - mandolin, violin
Al Jackson, Jr. - drums
Roger Hawkins - drums
Nigel Olsson - drums
Willie Correa - drums
The Memphis Horns - trumpet, trombone, saxophone
Cindy & Bob Singers, The Pets & The Clappers - backing vocals
String arrangements by Arif Mardin and James Mitchell

Rod's had 3 lives.

I saw him with Long John Baldry and with the Jeff Beck Group. My favourite part of his first period.

I also saw the Faces several times, when our band supported them (we had the same management). Good stuff. Faces audiences were something else.

3rd period, from Atlantic Crossing onwards. My least favourite period of the 3. Rod was one of the blokes until Britt came along.

All these people are difficult to varying degrees. It comes with the world they inhabit, but you can't argue, he's a very talented guy.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1407969652' post='2525981']
....I'd just like to mention 'In a Broken Dream' by Python Lee Jackson. So good it hurts....
[/quote]

I'm glad you like it, but it was only intended as a demo to get the band a record deal. Which it did.

Rod Stewarts huge success with Maggie May caused it to be dusted off and released. After it became a hit there was no chance the actual recording would be released. It had been consigned to the vaults after PLJ split up for the final time, several years before.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1407972023' post='2526010']
I'm glad you like it, but it was only intended as a demo to get the band a record deal. Which it did.

Rod Stewarts huge success with Maggie May caused it to be dusted off and released. After it became a hit there was no chance the actual recording would be released. It had been consigned to the vaults after PLJ split up for the final time, several years before.
[/quote]

Yeh I thought there was some sort of history like that behind it.
Another story I heard was that RS was in the studios where it was being recorded and heard them playing it in another studio. Apparently walked in and said '[b]This [/b]is how the vocals should be done'
That was the story that was going round Ashford County School in the 70's, but I'm sure it must be apocryphal (sp?)! :lol:

Anyway, sh*t hot record however it came to be.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407970562' post='2525996']
Not PLJ, but I hope this version doesn't hurt too much ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hCsodlGjE[/media]
[/quote]

Very tasty, thanks for posting. Some of my major idols on this recording.

And yet.....it doesn't quite slash your heart like the original. A bit too polished I think. I guess it's all to do with the time, place and age I was when I first heard it.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408001029' post='2526073']
....Yeh I thought there was some sort of history like that behind it....
[/quote]

They were recording the song as a demo for John Peel and David Bentley decided he didn't like his voice so Peel called Stewart to come in and put some vocals down.

I was briefly in PLJ in mid 1969. I joined just in time to record the "proper" version for Dandilion Records. The band had always been fractious and disorganised and split for the last time a couple of months later.

As I said, that version got swamped by Stewarts success and never had a chance of being released. Shame. Apart from the vocals, it [i]was[/i] a better record.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1408010766' post='2526186']

I was briefly in PLJ in mid 1969. I joined just in time to record the "proper" version for Dandilion Records.
[/quote]

Wow, massive respect to you!! (goes into fangirl mode :gas: :lol: )

Shame about the other record though. :(