Why become a member? ×

kit share live

Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1407797966' post='2524204']
Back when I was playing multi-band bills on a regular basis, I never had a driver blown by some dickhead. I did, however, have control knobs half removed, input sockets knocked half out of place, and drinks sat on top of expensive electrical equipment. The day I stopped letting people use my amp is the day I stopped having to get the thing mended.

Just giving the option of using the cab achieves three things-

1: Damage limitation, without being the grumpy guy who won't lend anything at all to fellow musos.
2: If someone has to go to the car to grab their amp, they often decide they might as well use the cab too, so you don' t have to risk any of your gear after all.
3. It subtly makes the point that if someone wants to play a gig, they need to think about providing adequate means to do so, or at least to communicate with those they expect to do so. "Yeah man, [i]of course[/i] you can use my cab, I'll just get my amp out of the way..."

[b]Edit:[/b] Always having stuff on hand, I never did turn up to a gig where no-one had brought any gear. I'd love to see how it went down at the ones where that was the case though. It [i]must[/i] have happened somewhere!
[/quote]

Ah, good call - that actually makes a lot of sense! :D thanks!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407782088' post='2524000']
The only no-no with my gear is putting drinks on it. I`ve walked on stage whilst the bands are playing who`ve done this to their amazement, moved the drink, then walked off. No need to get snotty with them, point made, none have done it again. These have also usually been most apologetic afterwards, not cos I`m big or hard or anything, just remembering their manners and that I`d helped them out/not got snotty or angry at the mistake.
[/quote]

I've had to do this many times in the past. I'm a gentle guy but you'll know Lozz, from my appearance I can appear quite the opposite!

After having had a couple of years away from gigging I'm probably about to get back in to this whole world of hurt.

We're a "new" originals band with a minimal following so scratching around for support slots while we get our name out there. As a result it'll be 30 minute sets on multi band gigs.

My plan will be the same as it always used to be:

1, find out who the headline act is
2, drop them a message, leaving my number, asking the bass player to get in touch.
3, talk to my counterpart and establish if a gear share is a possibility, and what equipment is available to share.
(If 3 is a yes)
4, turn up at gig with bass, pedals and head (can always be used as a DI in emergencies)
5, introduce myself in person to the bass player
6, observe any usage restrictions imposed by bass player and play gig
7, say thank you and hand over a drinking vessel containing their preferred tipple.
(If 3 is no)
4, turn up at gig with my own rig
5, play gig
6, be courteous and civil to other bass player as it is his gear and his choice whether I use it.

Basically I work on the principle of treat others (and their gear) how I want to be treated.

There is a very short list of people who I would let use my amps.

I hate it when other people aren't polite enough to ask in advance and then try to blame me for not sharing, because I'm ruining their gig.

Easy to solve - just tell them I need £3000 in cash in my pocket and they can use it. If it is undamaged then they get their money back. If not, they lose all of it.

Never had anyone accept those terms!

Or there is the always reliable - "You want a go on my amp? Only if I can have a go on your woman."

I'm of the opinion; if you don't have the gear to play a gig you shouldn't be playing gigs.

Now if someone messages me in advance and explains why they couldn't bring theirs and they show some form of respect / consideration in asking, then I might let them use it. However if you turn up to a show without equipment and want to use mine then you clearly don't care and I don't want you using it.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1407848711' post='2524603']
I've had to do this many times in the past. I'm a gentle guy but you'll know Lozz, from my appearance I can appear quite the opposite!
[/quote]

You`re certainly bigger than the average bear, Ben :lol:

I never used to mind lending out gear but I've definitely got stricter in recent years. If someone is a bit up themselves I'll now say no. Ironically the biggest name to use my gear was Norman Watt-Roy who was really grateful and gracious - unlike some of the posers who've happily rested pints on the head.

Not an amp but my worst experience was in Camden a couple of years back touring with an American band and the support band's bass packed up. I lent the bass player my bass to get them out of a hole and afterwards he was really rude "I'm a guitarist really, you see", "it sounds horrible with that foam under the bridge - I wanted to rip it out", "don't like the flatwound strings" and "why do you have those covers on it?". Funny thing but my gear lasted the tour, his didn't last the set. Go figure!?! If I'd have known he was going to be like that I'd have let him sing his bass parts.

Last gig I played we were told to bring amp head only as the cabs would be supplied.
Usually I take a cab anyway, but as my mates van was broken and we went in my car I didn't have room.

Turn up at the venue and see a small Line6 2x10 combo on the stage, heart sinks a little. I ask the promoter about the supplied cab. He shrugs and says I'm to use the Line6.
The other band sound check, combo is at full tilt, only just audibly, farting out notes, my heart sinks more.

I ask the sound guy where the cab, I was told was available, was. He points to a smallish Marshall cab.
I go and check it out.
No back, no labels on drivers, no multimeter to confirm impedance and, worst of all, part of an instrument lead hard wired as the connector.

I talk to the owner of the Line6 who say I can change any of the settings as it has memories and his are all programmed into number 1.
I use the Line6, turn off the 'Deep' setting, set the tone controls to a more appropriate setting than all maxed. Farting goes away, sounds louder and clearer. So I get through the gig ok.

I'm going to be certain to take a head and a cab from now on.