Why become a member? ×

PLEASE Optimise Your Pics!

discreet

Since my PC died I've been viewing BC on my phone. So I've been learning things about the advantages (and otherwise) of mobile browsing.

One issue becomes very clear - a lot of members post hefty, unprocessed pics that take ages to download at best and at worst trigger an 'Aw, Snap!' message, which means the entire thread cannot be viewed. So I can't see your FS threads, people!

It's very easy to sort - if you don't have appropriate software on your pooter you can use an online pic optimiser such as www.imageoptimizer.net

Think of your multi-platform viewers and increase your potential customers, people!

I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408270171' post='2528423']
Since my PC died I've been viewing BC on my phone. So I've been learning things about the advantages (and otherwise) of mobile browsing.
[/quote]

There are 'advantages'? Tiny screen, crap 'keyboard', expensive bandwidth and - as you've pointed out - slow.

Good luck with trying to change websites to make your browsing easier ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1408275122' post='2528479']
There are 'advantages'? Tiny screen, crap 'keyboard', expensive bandwidth and - as you've pointed out - slow.
[/quote]

As I have no PC atm it is at least an alternative to nothing. You get used to the screen and keyboard and you can access the web on the move. And my phone is part of my ISP package so I have unlimited calls, texts and bandwidth... :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1408275122' post='2528479']

Good luck with trying to change websites to make your browsing easier ;)
[/quote]

Tower PCs are notoriously difficult to carry around on a pub crawl. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408276139' post='2528488']
As I have no PC atm it is at least an alternative to nothing. You get used to the screen and keyboard and you can access the web on the move. And my phone is part of my ISP package so I have unlimited calls, texts and bandwidth... :)
[/quote] I have an old netbook you can borrow to get you through if you want Mark

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408270171' post='2528423']

One issue becomes very clear - a lot of members post hefty, unprocessed pics that take ages to download at best and at worst trigger an 'Aw, Snap!' message, which means the entire thread cannot be viewed. So I can't see your FS threads, people!

It's very easy to sort - if you don't have appropriate software on your pooter you can use an online pic optimiser such as www.imageoptimizer.net

Think of your multi-platform viewers and increase your potential customers, people!

I thank you! :)
[/quote]
What is optimum pic size for mobile viewing? Or will that optimizer website sort that for you?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1408277807' post='2528514']
I have an old netbook you can borrow to get you through if you want Mark
[/quote]

Very kind offer Paul, but I do have a PC in the pipeline. Thanks very much, I appreciate it. :) You could help by optimising your pics, though... :lol:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1408277910' post='2528516']
What is optimum pic size for mobile viewing? Or will that optimizer website sort that for you?
[/quote]

Mobile will resize any pics accordingly as long as the actual file sizes aren't too great. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1408278226' post='2528525']
Is it not possible to go on a pub crawl without an internet connection these days? ;)
[/quote]

;) noted, but taking you seriously anyway, my pub crawls these days are always looking for business. I never drink in a pub that doesn't do live music, and I always look for an opportunity to chat up a landlord.

That means I need access to the band's website, the pub's website, and Lemonrock - not to mention Google Maps.

Five years ago it would never have occurred to me to take a notebook or a laptop to the pub with me. Now I never go out without one.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1408280601' post='2528556']
;) noted, but taking you seriously anyway, my pub crawls these days are always looking for business. I never drink in a pub that doesn't do live music, [b]and I always look for an opportunity to chat up a landlord.[/b]

That means I need access to the band's website, the pub's website, and Lemonrock - not to mention Google Maps.

Five years ago it would never have occurred to me to take a notebook or a laptop to the pub with me. Now I never go out without one.
[/quote]

You cheap tart! :)

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1408294716' post='2528730']
Actually it sounds like part of the problem may be an underpowered or "on the way out" phone as you shouldn't get slow pic loading or the aw snap message from jpgs over WiFi or 3g.
[/quote]

Sony Xperia XP using 60Mb wi-fi when at home? Really, some people's pics are HUGE file sizes. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408295519' post='2528735']

Sony Xperia XP using 60Mb wi-fi when at home? Really, some people's pics are HUGE file sizes. :)
[/quote]
I'll obviously have to look at more photos of basses for sale, oh that's gonna help my GAS! ;-)

Edited by r16ktx

Well that's the thing... Pics that are small file sizes can still be big. Pics direct from a camera are generally MB instead of kb, which makes a lot of difference. I always edit my pics in Photoshop and save them for the web, which makes the file size a fraction of the original.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1408315184' post='2529005']
I've optimised mine.

It's now 6' x 8' and 470Tb.

I reckon Discreet should be able to read this message by... mid September? :D
[/quote]

If it's that pic of you and Cyril Smith from 1982 I really don't want to see it again...