Why become a member? ×

Looking for vocal Monitors/Small PA

Phil Starr

If you are looking for vocal monitors or a small PA then these have to be the bargain of the century (OK its still early enough) I've just got fed up with carrying my old 15" monitors and an amp and decided to go active for the smaller gigs. I spotted these http://www.andertons.co.uk/active-pa-speakers/cid627/active-pa-speakers.asp#1409763196934page-1 Wharfedale Titan 312a's a lightweight plastic box with a 12 + horn and bi amplified 200W. Just been playing with them and the vocal sound is delightful, it's smooth enough that I can easily exceed the gain before feedback of anything else I've tried. Fairly wide dispersion and pretty good midrange clarity, much better than the Yamaha DSR's I tried recently or anything short of the RCF's the bonus? They are £139 ea. They are also pretty loud going up to a claimed 128dB, the 15's are only £169.

The downside is the bass, I didn't find them too bass light with recorded music but when you turn up loud you get the expected resonances from the cheapo plastic cab. My plan was to rip the plate amp out and build my own if they didn't do the job but frankly I'm blown away at the price. If you used these as a PA without Subs I really think you might lose something at high levels though as an acoustic act they would be ideal.

The price put me off and I nearly didn't go for something which is cheaper than a Behringer 1320 wedge. If these prove reliable then they are unbeatable at this price point, get them whist they are offer.

Here's a review http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/dec07/articles/wharfedaletitan.htm

I'm a fan of Yamahas for the pricepoint but you are comparing Apples with Oranges if the Wharfedales only go to an acoustic act.
The Yamahas will cope with a very loud band and the vocals will stay focused even with kick, gtrs and keys in altho
their backline do most of that work.
We use a Wharfedale wedge and it does ok but nowhere near the quality of the Yamahas. The problem we have found
with the Yamahas wasn't exactly their fault, it was the Mackie/Behringer mixer but that would always apply, IMO.