Why become a member? ×

8 ohm and 4 ohm cab into Ampeg SVT-CL?

skidder652003

Hi folks
bit of a dilema here, If i was to put a 4 ohm and 8ohm cab together which I believe makes 2.6666 etc ohms right? So the SVT-CL has a 4 ohm or a 2 ohm option, again Im guessing you would opt for the 2 ohm option? If so what's the concensus on the stability of this bearing in mind Ive heard valve amps don't like being outside of their ohm design? Perhaps i should just go for the 2 x 8 ohm route, 2 x 4 ohm route etc!! Just interested if anyone has tried this?

Guest monsterthompson

i'm not going to speculate, but this sounds similar to the Barefaced 210 [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/retro-two10.htm"]http://barefacedbass...retro-two10.htm[/url]
[b] 12 or 4 ohm impedance?[/b]

The 12 ohm version allows you to use up to three cabs with a solidstate amp with a 4 ohm minimum load. Many solidstate amps will run four cabs because the resulting 3 ohm load is easy enough. When using one 12 ohm cab you'll get 2/3 of the power you'd normally get into an 8 ohm cab but unlike most small 8 ohm cabs the Two10 will handle all that power without distorting so will usually play louder.

With valve/tube amps you should use the 8 ohm or 16 ohm tap with a single 12 ohm cab, 8 ohm or 4 ohm tap with two cabs, 4 ohm tap with three cabs, 2 or 4 ohm tap with four cabs, 2 ohm tap with five or six cabs.

Edited by monsterthompson

Guest monsterthompson

I've seen this issue come up with the Mesa Walkabout, too (combo of 4 & 8 ohm cabs). However, the solid state nature of the head means there is no "selection" of 4 or 8 ohms.

Better for a valve amp to drive a slightly low impedance than a higher one, so use the 4 ohm setting to drive a 2.7ohm load. In either case the mismatch is very slight and wouldn't be a problem - especially when you consider that a cab's impedance is just a nominal figure and in practice it varies wildly across the frequency range.