Why become a member? ×

Mesa Walkabout Cab disappointment with EUB

lowlandtrees

I was really after a cab that would suit the ebass and DB. originally after the EA wizzy m line to pair with my EA doubler but nothing turned up so ended up with a Mesa Walkabout cab. The Walkabout sounds great with the ebass but disappointed at the DB sound. Looking for another pup...a K&K (damned expensive).....as the Realist that I am using is too dark and just sounds muddy on the small bodied EUB. I have tried messing with the EQ of course...turned the mids way down etc. Maybe it is too much to ask a cab to do everything? Don t really want to own 2 cabs.
Just having a rant BTW.

I hear you...its frustrating. Have a cuppa. But before you give up, the eq on the EA amps is good so have a fiddle...cut the low end (!) push up the mids, take the treble down, see what you can do. Play with the eq flat for a good ten minutes. Try running another preamp into the effects return. If its any use, I've always found the older EA cabs a bit harsh and edgy with a Realist.

I have three cabs, and a few combos....is there any other way?

I play electric and double bass through a Mesa Walkabout 12. Admittedly, I use either a MBII or an AI Focus head when playing DB instead of the Mesa head, but it does fine for me. The tone I go for isn't really "my bass but louder" it's just "louder" :) Maybe try BassBod's suggestion and stick with it, try other preamps etc... For what it's worth, the Full Circle is a great all around pickup IME. I have one on a DB and on a small body EUB (BSX Allegro 5) and it does a great job. Maybe the Realist doesn't suit that bass?