Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB605 vs BBG5S

TRBboy

Hey folks!

I've already got a BB605 as a backup bass, and it's great, but I've seen a BBG5S for sale which is tempting me instead..... I love the BB605, the NE1 preamp is great, but I've always loved the Yamaha humbuckers having owned a couple of TRBs in the past. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of both models and can share their opinions?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

:D

I've not played a 605 but I've got a bbg5s. It's the second one I had and I really love it. Fives aren't for me though so watch this space. I don't think k it was very high up in Yamaha's range but both of mine were put together with the typical yamaha quality you'd expect. Nice even tone across the board and plenty of tonal variation!

I have a BBG5A which the Bass Doc modded with a fretless fingerboard & I swapped the pickups for the double-pole pups from an RBX375, so I'm not sure how valid this is, but I love it! It's a wee bit on the heavy side, but the tone from the 'buckers has that extra kick of mids that works for fretless. Usual brill Yammy construction & heavy hardware. It's the one that lies out all the time.

G.

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1411291310' post='2558105']
I've not played a 605 but I've got a bbg5s. It's the second one I had and I really love it. Fives aren't for me though so watch this space. I don't think k it was very high up in Yamaha's range but both of mine were put together with the typical yamaha quality you'd expect. Nice even tone across the board and plenty of tonal variation!
[/quote]

Thanks man, let me know if you let that bass go...... :D

I didn't bid on the BBG5S in the end, it finished this morning. I don't really need it, and I think the BB605 is probably slightly better anyway. It does the job I need it to admirably, it's just GAS y'know! :D