Why become a member? ×

The Who, Pino and Zak

TimR

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1411825280' post='2563096']
Thought Be Lucky was ok though
[/quote]

Indeed, and better than some of the post-peak tracks. Thing is, there'll never be another Baba O'Riley or Real Me because they've already been done. There'll never be another classic-period Who because 50% of the band is dead. What we're left with is an approximation that delivers the old stuff with competence and brio while falling short of the epic when it comes to new songs. Perhaps 'Less Than Epic' is Townsend's preferred direction.

If nothing else the new song reveals that The Grumpiest Man In Rock has come up with a new chord progression to supplement the old A / G / Dsus chestnut. For this much at least we should be grateful.

Well, I always thought they were a total mess..... but Townsend kept it simple and the underlying collective chemistry really worked.
I think they know that they can't get that chemistry again and so they have moved on... it is only die-hards that wont accept it.
They can't win.... try and put two mavericks in and they aren't Entwhistle and Moon..try something different and they aren't Entwhistle and Moon.
Those guys are dead... it is gone.
You have a choice...listen to 'new' product or give them up...and they have a choice as well... continue or give up..??

Personally, I think you should be pleased you got what you did out of them,... nothing is forever.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1411895214' post='2563532']
Well, I always thought they were a total mess...
[/quote]

Yes - a bloody good mess, though. In music there's a fine line between a religious experience and a bucket of dog's eggs.
Ox and Moon kept it supernatural long enough for it to be something very special, imho.

Well, that is an opinion.. I'd say neither of them would have gotten a gig anywhere else.. but who cares.
We can go round and round on this...it was what it was and it is no more.
We do a couple of Who numbers and they are great fun to play..but as for learning the parts...:lol:
no.. its a Jam, but people regard them as amongst our best numbers. ...so...???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1411901194' post='2563628']
Well, that is an opinion.. I'd say neither of them would have gotten a gig anywhere else.. but who cares.
[/quote]

I think Entwistle could have played with Zep... but he didn't... so yes, it is pointless speculation.
Still, I've got an hour before I need to start lunch, so why not..? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1411902014' post='2563641']
God, I dunno... I seem to remember some connection between The Who and Zep...
...no doubt someone who knows will be along shortly... :D
[/quote]

Page was the session guitarist on "I can't Explain" there was a session drummer but Moon threw his drum kit in the street! Allegedly..

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1411905209' post='2563694']
Page was the session guitarist on "I can't Explain" there was a session drummer but Moon threw his drum kit in the street! Allegedly..
[/quote]

I seem to remember it was Moon and Entwistle who came up with the name 'Led Zeppelin' as well, but I may have dreamt it...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1411905476' post='2563699']
I seem to remember it was Moon and Entwistle who came up with the name 'Led Zeppelin' as well, but I may have dreamt it...
[/quote]

You did not dream it.

Though precise details remain unclear, it came to pass that around 1966-67 Messrs Entwistle and Moon were experiencing a dissatisfaction with Mr Townsend's somewhat proprietorial attitude towards The Who. At the same time Mr Jimmy Page was contemplating forming a band. The parties having identified a potential mutuality of opportunity a meeting was convened

In discussion with Mr Page the prospects of a supergroup were estimated thusly by Mr Moon:

[indent=1]'It would go down like a lead balloon,' observed the frantic sticksman.[/indent]

[indent=1]'More like a lead zeppelin*,' rejoindered the laconic Mr Entwistle.[/indent]

Undeterred, Mr Page identified Mr Steve Marriott as his choice of lead singer. Mr Marriot was - as they say - 'up for it' but his manager Mr Don Arden (the self-styled 'Al Capone of Rock') issued a firm [i]'nolle prosequi'[/i] in the form of a private note addressed to Mr Page, the gist of which was the invitation: 'How would you like to play guitar with broken fingers?'

Confronted by Arden's intransigence and the contingent prospect of negligible financial returns the project ran aground and the hopeful participants scattered. Perhaps this is just as well: each of the instrumentalists enjoyed a reputation for looseness and the project might well have been an unlistenable trainwreck. Perhaps it was this thought that prompted Mr Moon and The Ox to deprecate the combo's remunerative viability.

As for finding a 'Steve Marriott', Mr Page eventually alighted upon Mr Plant who - by coinkydink - was a huge Marriot fan even to the extent of following the Small Faces on their British tours and running little errands for the band. It is alleged that it was Mr Marriott who first applied the [i]soubriquet[/i] 'Percy' to young Mr Plant, thus bringing the whole story full circle.

* [size=3]Subsequently amended to 'Led Zeppelin' by Mr Peter Grant to avoid the possibility that 'stupid yanks' might pronounce 'lead' as '[i]leed[/i]'[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar