Why become a member? ×

Computers and recording software help needed

Captain Rumble

My son has just started college doing a music technology/performance diploma he is a very capable drummer for his age (Rob W Drumming on facebook if your interested) and is learning guitar at a frightening rate. We have a semi soundproof music room that he and I use for practice and he would like to be able to record, mix etc. So to that end I need to acquire the tools for the job, he uses logic pro (means nothing to me) at college and says that's what he wants at home. I have done a little research and am told Apple is the way to go (ouch) but which model and what version of logic I don't know.
Now I want to help him anyway I can but funds are extremely limited as is my knowledge of these things so any advice you guys can give me would me much appreciated.

John

Logic is well thought of and if your son uses it at college it might be a good idea to go with that at home. Means he can take recorded material back and forth on a usb stick, or equivalent.

You mention Apple. Do you use an iPad? I use Cubasis on iPad which works really well when IOS8 is sorted anyway. Much cheaper than full DAWs like Logic or Cubase. Cubasis being a much pared down version of Cubase.

You will also need an interface which allows you to put audio sound or MIDI (digital notes) into the software via USB cable.

That's a start for you. Others will give more advice.

There will be experts far more qualified than me along shortly Im sure, but for my tuppence worth, you will need to firstly aquire an audio interface ( a piece of harware that coverts your vocal, guitar, bass signal etc to a digital signal that the computer can recognise). These can be had cheaply secondhand. As for a Mac, if he's studying at college, could they not lend him a laptop with logic pro loaded?

This thread might be a good place to start:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234738-home-studio-guide-for-newbies/

Logic is one of the most widely used desktop audio workstation (DAW) softwares and comes highly recommended. If it's what your son is using at college then it would make good sense to get a copy for use at home.

It's Mac-only which means you'll need an Apple computer to run it on. The Mac Mini is a really good product to look at in that regard - reasonably priced (for a Mac!) and has tons of power 'under the hood' for processing music.

There's plenty of advice on music production in the Recording forum - hardware, software, leisure wear, you name it - so swing by and say hello if you need more help :)

You'll need Logic X from the app store - £140. Don't buy any other plugins to go with it.

It will run on any reasonably modern Mac, so you and he need to decide if you need a laptop for portability , or if it can be desktop based. I would have thought a laptop would be the way to go for a student. Any of the laptops will run Logic, including the 'Air' laptops, but the 11 inch laptop has a rather small screen.

You get educational discount as a student on new Apple hardware but I think it might only be 5%… Apple hardware is not cheap :(
If you can afford it I would buy new and get extended applecare (which is essentially an extended guarantee for 3yrs and phone helpline support). You might also consider insurance, I have insurance on my house contents which includes the laptop out and about.

Secondhand is a perfectly good option but more tricky if you have no experience of macs.

If the intention is to duplicate the setup at college than I wouldn't get an iPad.

Audio interfaces are a whole kettle of fish, as are microphones etc. Maybe he could record in college and just do the mixing/learning Logic bit at home? A home recording setup is going to require midi keyboard, audio interface, microphone(s), monitors etc, so will be pricey.

Edited by tedmanzie

I use Logic, mainly because of my university work, but I find it easy and reliable too.

I bought a MacBook Pro last year, and I got a pretty good discount from the Apple shop, you just need to prove that it's for your studies. I'm doing music, so your son doing music tech will have no problem.

I can't remember my discount, but I think it was about 15%, so it's a pretty good one.

I took out Apple care too, that's the insurance warranty thing. The discount on that was even better. I think I paid a total of about £900 for both.

Logic Pro X, is available from the app store, check though, my university is still using Logic Pro 9.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett interface which is pretty amazing (and the same as at uni too), they're available for about £90 (I think).