Why become a member? ×

Honky Tanglewater

lownote

Hi y'all I'd be interested if anyone else shares my experience of the Overwater Tanglewood Classic Jazz. I bought it so I could choose P bass or J bass vibe, according to need or mood. But the nearest I can get to an edgy deep P bass growl is by mixing the bridge and neck pups equally. If I select ONLY the neck (split P bass style pup) I actually get more treble mixing in, plus what to me is an unpleasant honk. I can't get a grip on why that should be. FYI I'm running D'Addario flatwounds on her.

I can coaxe a pretty good p bass grunt from the neck pickup (pickup selector full clockwise) but only by filtering out the treble and mids on the amp EQ

Edited by lownote12

When you say you "get more treble mixing in, plus what to me is an unpleasant honk" that to me sounds like you've soloed the bridge pickup rather than the neck. I wonder if somehow the pickups have been wired incorrectly on the blend control? I'd expect fully clockwise would solo the neck and fully anticlockwise would solo the bridge. As it happens I've both a P/J and a Jazz bass and on both I often run the bridge pickup with the treble backed off a little, which is what might reduce the 'honk' on your Overwater Tanglewood.

I've got the same classic jazz bass and I find the P (neck) pickup soloed to sound very P-bass like. No honk unless I roll onto the J (bridge) pickup only which is where it honks like a jazz should.

Can you record some sound samples at all? I could compare them to mine to see if they differ much.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1412500717' post='2569295']
I can coaxe a pretty good p bass grunt from the neck pickup (pickup selector full clockwise) but only by filtering out the treble and mids on the amp EQ
[/quote]

Any particular reason why you're backing off the treble and mids at the amp instead of backing off the treble with the tone control on the bass?

Edited by HowieBass

To determine if it is a wiring problem, turn the blend knob fully clockwise then tap each pick up [i][b]gently[/b][/i] with the metal end of a screwdriver. You'll hear immediately which pick up is being selected.

Edited by petergales