Why become a member? ×

Vigier Excess 5 strings, gauge and neck

mattbass6

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
[size=3]Hi everyone. I have just bought a rather beautiful Excess 5 bass and just love it. I wonder if anyone can help me please? Firtsly, I have no idea what the strings are and what the guage of them are. Anyone know? Secondly, if I wanted to put heavier gauge strings on the bass, will the neck move? I love the action just the way it is and am worried that if I put heavier gauge strings on, the neck will move or are the necks that rock solid that it won't make any difference?[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=3]Sorry if this sounds rather silly but, I have never had a bass without a truss rod. Any help and advice would be so appreciated. Thanks you in advance.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=3]Cheers,[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=3]Matt[/size][/size][/font][/color]

If you bought it as new then the stock strings should be Vigier strings 40-120.

I have a four string Excess. You can pretty much string it with any gauge of strings you want. The neck is designed to be entirely rigid in terms of string gauge changes and tension changes. No need for a truss rod adjustment either because there isn't one. I have had my Excess for over ten years and used it for all manner of tunings (high F standard to drop B )and string gauges (40-95 to 120-50), the neck has never had any issues.

Changing gauges and tunings will require you to give your bass a set up, in terms of re-setting the intonation and action. Beyond that though you should be fine.

Edited by thodrik

• 1 month later...