Why become a member? ×

BFM Jack 12 Cabs Build

Bigjas

Thought I would share my build experience of BFM Jack 12 cabs with you. When I looked at building the cabs, I searched for any build logs and only came up with 'Discreets' very well written build log. So I thought I would share my build and opinions for anyone else looking to build. This is not an ongoing build log, rather a retrospective look back at my build. I bought the plans from Bill and the build took about 2 weeks in total.

The 12mm ply is cut to size and I have set out the parts as per the plans. The plans are well written and easy to follow.

Here you can see the baffle and throat panels have been glued together. I am using PU glue, this is the stuff that foams up and helps to provide an airtight joint. Its quite messy so gloves were used.

The top and bottom being glued in place.

The 2 cabs are now looking like boxes. I have also decided to make a box to house my Hartke HA5500 amp.

I have added some timber to the front of the cabs so I can fit a cloth grill. I have also put the radius on all the edges.

I have painted the inside of the cabs matt black. The outside is covered in Marshall Elephant grain tolex. Chrome corners are also fitted.

Eminence Deltalite II 2512 Speaker is fitted. These are so light!! You can also see the carpet underlay stuck to the inside.

The cabs are now complete, this is the back view. You can see I have made the box for the head, so it all matches.

And the finished items. I am really pleased with how they look.

I tried it out at rehearsal this week and I am very pleased with the sound. I could probably get away with only one cab, but two just sounds so nice. Plenty of headroom with this rig B) Cant wait to gig it at the end of the month. The cabs only weigh 17.8kg on my bathroom scales, and that was the reason behind building this rig. My back can no longer take all the heavy lifting of my Hiwatt rig. These are a one handed lift with a handle on the top.

Jas

I always struggle with describing how guitars,amps and cabs sound. I know in my head what sound I like, and these cabs are very close to it. I like a nice warm, solid bass sound that has clarity but not a modern,driven bass sound. I don't use effects, apart from a Behringer BDI 121. These speakers are very good, they project the sound all round the rehearsal room compared to my other Cab. The rest of the band could actually notice the difference in sound, they all prefered the BFM cabs. There is plenty of volume in these cabs too. I tried using just one cab to see what it would be like, and it performed very well on its own. If I had a small venue to play I could get away with just taking one cab. The sound of 2 BFM cabs is just amazing. My other cab that I keep at our rehearsal room is a Marshall DBS 7410. This weighs 60kgs!! The BFM cabs only weigh 18kgs each and sound better than the Marshall. I am a very happy chap, and I can't see me GASing for any more amps/cabs for a while.

Jas

• 4 weeks later...

Really nice job, probably two of the best BFM builds I've seen for quite a while. Got me thinking about building two myself, or possibly a single 2x12 rather than a pair of 1x12's :o

Edited by JPJ