Why become a member? ×

Marshall Integrated Bass System 200W head and (1x15?) cab

JapanAxe

I went along to a jam session tonight, and took my GB/BF rig in case I needed it. On arrival I found that all bassists were plugging into a Marshall Integrated Bass System 200W head and matching (1x15?) cab. Initially I thought, 'Oh well', but after I'd sorted out the weird EQ settings left by the previous player (bass maxed out etc), I have to say it did the sound of my Precision no harm at all. The guy who was running the jam seemed to like having me up there, so I was plugged into it for at least 40% of the evening. It was even phat and phunky enough for the closing rendition of [i]Superstition[/i].

Now I'm not suddenly GASing for the kind of heavy old solid-state gear that seems to have gone out of fashion these days, but it's fair to say we often forget it wasn't all bad. Here endeth the lesson. :sleep:

Marshall bass gear has always lived in the shadow if it's guitar oriented brother.
I have not played a Marshall bass rig that didn't sound good. Granted, on some I had to play with the eq a bit, but solid and clear nonetheless.
Whether it's the ibs, DBS, super bass, 800 series, mb, or vba, I will always be proud to play through a rig that sounds as good as marshall's.
I will never understand why they decided to knock the Marshall bass brand in the head though, the Eden stuff just doesn't sound as good to me.

I doubt I will ever get shot of either of my DBS heads.

I have a DBS400 and it's brilliant in every way except the weight. Have just bought Karlfer's Carvin BX700 to try out as a light weight alternative. Trying it out tonight - time will tell. But it would have to be exceptional for me to move the DBS on.

I hadn't realised that Marshall had dropped their bass range. It seems a shame to me. Are any of them continuing but with an Eden" badge, or are they completely dropped?

No doubt original Marshalls will now become collectors items!

PS, why does the site spell checker work on American English - can I change this?

PPS: Just visited the "New Improved" Marshall web site and it is crap compared to what it used to be!

PPPS: Time for Blackstar to venture into bass perhaps??

Edited by Count Bassy

I used to play regularly through an MB450 head and 410 speaker - lovely piece of kit. :)

Heavy though. :(

I'm still rocking a 1992 SWR SM400 head, safe in the knowledge that if anything ever goes wrong I can replace the individual components without tweezers and a magnifying glass!

Hurrah for old, hand built kit!

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1412952701' post='2573624']

[/quote]

As I'm deeply unimpressed with Blackstar guitar amps, I won't be in the queue if they do venture into the deep end.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1412963812' post='2573751']
As I'm deeply unimpressed with Blackstar guitar amps, I won't be in the queue if they do venture into the deep end.
[/quote]

Well I'm not a guitarist so I couldn't judge, but I thought they had a reasonable reputation. I was thinking more of the Marshall link however.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1412962520' post='2573741']
Have had a fair few Marshall set-ups, my fave being a DBS7400 into the VBC412. But both were way too heavy for me in the end. Shame, wasa cracking rig.
[/quote]
I've got the DBS7400, but not the cab. I was looking at the DBS7412 Cab for a while, but it weighs in at around 7 stone!!!!! Gary Twig has the 7400/ 7412 combination and it sounds brilliant, but then I guess he's got Roadies!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1412952701' post='2573624']
I have a DBS400 and it's brilliant in every way except the weight. Have just bought Karlfer's Carvin BX700 to try out as a light weight alternative. Trying it out tonight - time will tell. But it would have to be exceptional for me to move the DBS on.

I hadn't realised that Marshall had dropped their bass range. It seems a shame to me. Are any of them continuing but with an Eden" badge, or are they completely dropped?

No doubt original Marshalls will now become collectors items!

PS, why does the site spell checker work on American English - can I change this?

PPS: Just visited the "New Improved" Marshall web site and it is crap compared to what it used to be!

[/quote]

How is/was the Carvin in comparison? Curious to hear!

Likewise I had the IBS 200W head and used it with a 2x15 bass cab loaded with Celestion speakers. I loved that rig! It was fine for quiet bands and say, a punky three piece but it would have ran out if oomph if there were Mr Malmsteen on guitar!!! Brilliant amp.

Also recently dealt with Marshall customer service and repair centre. Got a full service and repair on an amp within warranty for the cost of shipping alone. Very fast turn around and a courtesy message too. So all good in my book.