Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision or a waste of money...Photos

jonnythenotes

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1413322993' post='2577244']
They also used MDF for a period on these for the body.
They were cheap basses designed to regain some of the copy market.
[/quote]
Yeah. I've seen two MDF bodies both with '96 serials, so maybe this was something late in production. I did wonder how this might have come about until I remembered the original Ibanez Talmans were made with MDF (or resoncast as Ibanez called it). So this stuff was floating around the factory.

It it were mdf it would weigh around 10.5-11lbs, whereas I think the wood used for Silver Series was Basswood, which would be around 8.5lbs. I had an E Series MIJ Squier Jazz and it was mdf - weighed a ton. Nice bass, though - sounded superb.

The Silver Series might have been cheap but they were good. I had a Silver Series Precision that I sold on and regret selling. Straight out of the box it was one of the best Precisions I have played. Tone was fantastic from the stock pickups, lightweight, slim comfy neck.

Edited by Paul S

I had an MDF that was very light, so only real way is pick guard off and have a dig about :unsure:
Trouble with MDF is it starts to deteriorate and once it goes it goes .
They even did a fake wood grain MDF sunburst !
Pick guard off and look.
They were £129 basses.
They have gained some popularity due to the Squire VJ, but those are in a completely different league and indeed to most Fenders some would say... ;)

Actually the Silver Series sold for almost twice that amount.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the MIK Squiers, which were introduced to compete with the likes of Encore and Marlin? The Silver Series were introduced to address the perceived drop in quality of the MIKs, as Yamaha were giving them a bit of a battering with ads showing a dissected Squier in all it's plywood glory.

I'm quite shocked to hear about that E series Paul. I never realised they had used MDF for any of them. Perhaps it was used as a cost cutting measure towards the end of the run, which may have been what was going on with the Silver Series?

The one I Bought was a 92/3 somewhere about then brand new in a box for £129, I tried to sell it on here, ended up nearly giving it away, did not realise it had an MDF body in the shop.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197989-squire-japan-precison-1992-silver-series/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197989-squire-japan-precison-1992-silver-series/[/url]
Overall it played OK, nothing special .
However what I class as a Silver Series said "Silver series" on the headstock, those were earlier basses.
The Silver logo basses ran in to the mid japan 90's era.
Quality was varied from Solid body basses, to really naff MDF ones that rotted away.
Seen a lot of bumping up of theses now, think folk are trying to chase the VJ bass trail.
I certainly would not confuse one of these with a VJ squire.
Chalk and cheese

Musky - the E series Squier Jazz was actually very nice, well built, absolutely rang unplugged and plugged sounded exactly like a Jazz bass should. I didn't particularly care about it being MDF. Tone is very subjective but, to my ears, it sounded better than a basswood Silver Series Jazz I had but, at around 2lbs heavier, it was sadly a non-starter for me.

This all shows how difficult it is to generalise about particular models doesn't it! I would have said, across the board Silver Series are great basses for the money. It now seems that would have to be qualified - Silver Series *can* be great basses for the money. The Silver Series Precision I had certainly was and I'd buy it back in an instant (you reading this Tom? :) ).