Why become a member? ×

Chord Tones for theory noobs

tedmanzie

This is what Jake Newman has been teaching me along with double bass technique, having a teacher really helps imo, doesn't have to be every week, once every few months can be enough to get you pointing the right way then when you get stuck again have another. Doddy taught me to read music which has also helped with learning some theory as most of the books are in fly droppings :)

I'm literally just a tiny bit in front of this topic on the two octave scale (9th 11th and 13th to confuse me) and how the different chord tones fit within the scales thus in turn why certain notes work in a chord progression, your brain is already trying to go there by the sounds of things , like Doddy says though I (we) need to learn note names rather than shapes which I'm guilty of!

Good luck and enjoy :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1413573529' post='2579831']
Carol Kaye's own educational material on this is great.
Did you know she also gives lessons by Skype?
Check out her website if you haven't already.
[/quote]

i've read her Q&As, but I read reviews of her books suggesting they were aimed at the better player?

i did see she did Skype but I would feel like I was literally wasting her time... Would like to hear more of her stories though!

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1413573529' post='2579831']
Did you know she also gives lessons by Skype?
[/quote]

No, but I do now! That's something I should definitely do at some point just to learn anything from the legend herself. Trouble is... what would I ask her about... hmm!