Why become a member? ×

Pickguard on a contoured body?

dincz

Tricky! Scratch plate plastic will bend with heat. What I would do is make the scratch plate to the shape I wanted, heat this in the oven until it is 'floppy' and then lay this on the subject bass in the correct alignment. Problems are the hot plastic can damage the finish on the bass or worse still stick to it, so I'd probably put a sheet of paper between the bass and scratch plate to minimise any direct heat transfer.

Once the plastic cools, it should retain the shape of the bass at least close enough that the screws will close up any gaps. You might have to file and fettle the pickup openings and neck pocket openings in the scratch plate as once bent, these will be slightly smaller than when you first cut them.

By way of an alternative, you could just make pickup rings to cover the gaps around your new pickups. Yamaha used to do this on the BB series basses that had chrome rings around the pickups. Looked pretty cool to me :)

Good luck if you decide to do this, and let us know how you get on!

Edited by JPJ

Thanks JPJ. The heat thing might just work - especially as I now realise the body is only contoured cross-wise and not length-wise so it's a simple curve. Pickup rings won't work unfortunately as you can see below.

[URL=http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/dincz/media/P1000249_zps78a2f8e2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/dincz/P1000249_zps78a2f8e2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]