Why become a member? ×

Halloween Gigs, Who's Playing Tonight?

blue

Good gig for us in Oxford last night, we played great and the audience was into it. We dropped in Werewolves of London,which went well, wish we'd worked out an ending!
The second band nearly emptied the place, but Anton Barbeau brought it back in.
We also had a Eurovision winner in the audience! Anyone care to guess who that might have been?

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

Skittles out of the way, we did ours last night. Threw in monster mash, ghostbusters, time warp and thriller to be topical. Nice big crowd, dancing from the off, so it got properly hot very quickly. I was dressed as riff raff, so first job this morning is to wipe all the white and black makeup off I was wearing off my bass- it's got everywhere!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1414785699' post='2593391']
Ours isn't until tomorrow night.

We have rehearsed Monster Mash and we are wearing make up :blush:
[/quote]

We were going to do Monster Mash, but we ended up doing a medley of "Battle without honor or humanity" (from Tarantino's Kill Bill soundtrack... this is a track we played, among others, once that we hosted a Tarantino themed event [1]... little to do with Halloween, but it's a great intro and our two trumpets and sax do a great job there), leading to our ska version of "In the hall of the mountain king" with a few "spooky" chords in between the Tarantino song and this, and then this leads to the "Ghostbusters" theme, but when they sing "Who you gonna call?" we don't say "Ghostbusters!" but "Sea Bass Kid" (the name of our band). People seem to like it and join in :lol:

[1] we tend to do a couple of events a year or so, locally. We hire a nice venue, invite a couple of other bands to support us, and decide on a theme... We have done Halloween a couple of times already (this time we just played a local music bar, Whistle Binkies), the Tarantino one, some Sci Fi too... I can't recall, there were a few. Usually great fun. We don't make a lot of money, but bands get paid and get free drinks, we cover our costs and have some leftover (and sell CDs), and we have a really good time :)

So on Friday we did Whistle Binkies. Prior to the gig I met one of the trumpet players for a couple of beers and a hamburger... he was a werewolf and I was a vampire. :P
Two sets of 45min-ish (we tend to get carried away and always play a little longer in this place... when the audience is really into it, it's hard to stop :lol:)

We play originals, so apart from that medley, it's all our own stuff... except Beer (Reel Big Fish) which we play at the end of the first set hinting to the audience to get some refreshments after so much dancing before we get back on ;)
Oh, we also have our own Halloween song. We wrote it last year, for our Halloween event. It's one of the tracks we recorded for our forthcoming album... "Entropy", shortly available in all the usual online shops ;)

On Saturday we played another Halloween gig, this time at a boat on Loch Lomond. The boat was quite cool, nice decor... great idea. Unfortunately the weather was horrible and it seems a girl od'd on something, so when we arrived there was an ambulance and lots of police... and they were doing searches etc... not fun, in the rain. I was driving with our two trumpets and we stayed in the car for a while. There were some issues with the PA too, so while one room on en end of the boat worked ok, with a DJ, the end for love music was not having much luck... Everything ran very late, and we started playing over 2h later than planned. As a result, everyone was squeezed into shorter slots (it was a party that went from 4pm till 1am, with many bands)... and we only played the medley and three other songs :(
We did leave them wanting more!
So, it was quite disappointing as we expected to play an hour, but the 20 minutes we were on were fun, and it's kind of cool to leave while people is yelling they want more and thanking us as we try to make our way to the car park. Beats been booed :P

My eyes are a bit sore from the make up/ eyeliner and the removal proces two nights in a row... but it was worth it. Halloween is great :)

edit: in the past we have also done Thriller, a short version of 3 minutes or so. I love playing that, but a couple of members thought it "boring" and were too vocal about it, so we had to leave it out to appease the [s]children[/s] guys.

Edited by mcnach

'Day of the Dead' not 'Halloween' but here are [i]Bajo El Volcan Con Los Bastardos Ingles[/i] - that's [i]Under the Volcano with the English Bastards[/i] for anyone without Espa[size=2]ň[/size]ol - guitar, piano, bass, drums, two percussionists, and male and female vocalists but female vocalist gone missing here:

Set list was:

Call of the Dead
Canción de Mariachi
Season of the Witch
Alberta
Chan Chan
Trece Dias
Que Bello
La Llorona
Jambalaya
Big Chief
El Raton
Algo Esta Cambiando
El Rey
De que Manera te Olvido
La Diferencia
Un Puño de Tierra
El Liston de tu Pelo
El Quarto de Tula
La Bamba

Earlier, the drummer, two percussionists and the guitarist wait to for the dead to be called:

I was waiting too:

... and the return of the other vocalist and pianist making an appearance at the back left:

Not Halloween, but a zombie event in Edinburgh called "Deadinburgh", last year. It's an "interactive show" that takes place in the old Royal Veterinary School... several floors, old building, labs, corridors, a courtyard... The public gets in and the ticket box is made like a military checkpoint, with soldiers with machine guns, and various people with bright yellow suits as you'd use in dangerous biological research... They get ushered inside to be protected as "something" has happened... and they get taken to a lab, where they test whether they're infected (my lab got involved in this, essentially they get people to scrape the inside of their mouth and look at the cells under a microscope, stained with a dye so the nucleus is red... some of the dye bottles have a mix of dyes that turn part of teh cells greenish blue rather than colourless... that means they are infected and will turn into zombies!!! :lol:) and they are taken away and made up applied to them and return as zombies (they're actors, the ones they give the different die to, pretending to be public)... and the mayhem starts... zombies attack, much running around...
In the end, the "humans" get cornered into this large room... soldiers lock them in... zombies attack, a lot of fires are shot, alarms ring... smoke... the light goes off... people scream... then the alarm stops, and a voice announces "welcome to the end of the world!"... lights go up... a curtain falls on one side of the room: it's a bar! and we, the band, are upstairs and start to play. That's teh end of the show. The public have no idea there's live music at the end... It was a lot of fun. :) We got to do it twice.

Edited by mcnach

Bit late but this is what we did on Saturday....

[URL="http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUNJQfoZhBdftqhpIHYpbdvQ&v=25m1n-MXUqs&feature=youtu.be"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUNJQfoZhBdftqhpIHYpbdvQ&v=25m1n-MXUqs&feature=youtu.be[/URL]

We were the house band for the rocky Horror bits then did a set at the end. Bit weird as half the band was one side of the stage and the other half about three miles away on the other, that that's the way they wanted it for the Rocky Horror bit for obvious reasons.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1414947159' post='2594936']
Not Halloween, but a zombie event in Edinburgh called "Deadinburgh", last year. It's an "interactive show" that takes place in the old Royal Veterinary School... several floors, old building, labs, corridors, a courtyard... The public gets in and the ticket box is made like a military checkpoint, with soldiers with machine guns, and various people with bright yellow suits as you'd use in dangerous biological research... They get ushered inside to be protected as "something" has happened... and they get taken to a lab, where they test whether they're infected (my lab got involved in this, essentially they get people to scrape the inside of their mouth and look at the cells under a microscope, stained with a dye so the nucleus is red... some of the dye bottles have a mix of dyes that turn part of teh cells greenish blue rather than colourless... that means they are infected and will turn into zombies!!! :lol:) and they are taken away and made up applied to them and return as zombies (they're actors, the ones they give the different die to, pretending to be public)... and the mayhem starts... zombies attack, much running around...
In the end, the "humans" get cornered into this large room... soldiers lock them in... zombies attack, a lot of fires are shot, alarms ring... smoke... the light goes off... people scream... then the alarm stops, and a voice announces "welcome to the end of the world!"... lights go up... a curtain falls on one side of the room: it's a bar! and we, the band, are upstairs and start to play. That's teh end of the show. The public have no idea there's live music at the end... It was a lot of fun. :) We got to do it twice.

[/quote]

thats brilliant!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1414944124' post='2594902']
'Day of the Dead' not 'Halloween' but here are [i]Bajo El Volcan Con Los Bastardos Ingles[/i] - that's [i]Under the Volcano with the English Bastards[/i] for anyone without Espa[size=2]ň[/size]ol - guitar, piano, bass, drums, two percussionists, and male and female vocalists but female vocalist gone missing here:

Set list was:

Call of the Dead
Canción de Mariachi
Season of the Witch
Alberta
Chan Chan
Trece Dias
Que Bello
La Llorona
Jambalaya
Big Chief
El Raton
Algo Esta Cambiando
El Rey
De que Manera te Olvido
La Diferencia
Un Puño de Tierra
El Liston de tu Pelo
El Quarto de Tula
La Bamba

Earlier, the drummer, two percussionists and the guitarist wait to for the dead to be called:

I was waiting too:

... and the return of the other vocalist and pianist making an appearance at the back left:

[/quote]

also brilliant!
Great band name too!