Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity P-bass vs Fender custom shop Pino Palladino P-bass

jazzpunkrock

[quote name='jazzpunkrock' timestamp='1415046077' post='2596120']
Thanks a lot to everyone for your comments and thoughts!! Before I bought this Squier I had chance to play 4 Squiers and this one was the best one. Another three were ok.
For me there isn't big difference for playability just I like Pinos neck little bit more because of nut width is a bit bigger than Squier has. And Squier definitely don't require much more effort to play. I did also professional setup for Squier. Just basic setup with low action nothing more.
And now ladies and gentleman the truth is: number 1 is Squier Affinity and number 2 is Fender Pino Palladino
Sorry but my finger technique isn't very solid :blush: sometimes I can handle sometimes not and I recorded Fender Pino first and I hadn't warmed up jet.
Yes I am agree that 62 pickups are more middy and Pino is more even.
Need to mention that first song (I Want you back) recorded with foam mute under the strings and tone knob half way on both basses. Second tune recorded(Blues) without foam and tone knob turned full down. Third song (YYZ) recorded without foam and tone knob turned full up.
Yes both has rosewood fingerboard.
[/quote]
Glad I got it right then!

Thanks for giving us this comparison though! Cracking playing, and a very good test!

I preferred #1 too, though didn't try guessing which was which as I don't have much experience with the P sound.

Goes to show the pick-up are one of the most important parts for the bass's sound though, maybe I liked the Squire more because I've got the CS60 pickups in my jazz?

Bet the Pino feels much nicer to play though, I've been considering a P recently but all the Squires I've had a go on have left me feeling cold - fit & finish has been awful.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1415187523' post='2597544']
Bet the Pino feels much nicer to play though, I've been considering a P recently but all the Squires I've had a go on have left me feeling cold - fit & finish has been awful.
[/quote]

All the Squiers I've played have had rough frets. I know it can be fixed in theory, but my Gear4Music was better finished than the Squier. The body shaping on the Squier is better though than the G4Music.