Why become a member? ×

EB MusicMan SR5, which switch controls?

Pinball

Hi, I have a 2002 SR5 (ceramic p-up) that I'm gigging for the first time on Wednesday and I haven't had it at a rehearsal yet. I'm trying to decide on if I should start using it use it Parallel, Single Coil or Series.

It's a rock band and the bass will be used mostly without effects but sometimes with a distortion and Wah.

My ears are currently telling me to leave it set "flat" and that all the settings could be good but I'll probably start in Paralelle and switch to Series if I want the bass at the front of the mix.

I'm just wondering what settings others use? Any advice much appreciated

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415472325' post='2600759']
I go parallel most of the time, the Classicray5 hasn't got a switch anyway but the ceramic version in series is a serious tool that you will enjoy a lot! I like my ceramic SR5 in series with a pick, its awesome :)
[/quote]
Cool, that's what I was thinking and I will be switching between finger style and pick-ithat also gives my old fingers a rest :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415473443' post='2600768']
Once you get it in the mix I normally find that adjusting the treble boost/cut is all I need for a whole range of styles all night, I'm a clumsy ham fisted get and it gets a bits toppy with a pick with the same settings as my finger style.
[/quote]

That should also work for me. I'll let you know if I get any audience feedback. I'm really looking forward to the gig. we haven't played many but I'm at that nice stage where more confidence means I can enjoy what we're playing.

The gig went well, although I changed my carefully crafted master-plan when I got there.

I was sharing my amp and the other bass player and he had set the gain higher than I normally use.I liked it so i left it. I used the bass "in parallel" the whole time. As I was using lots of gain I didn't need to add any dirt from my pedals and just varied my playing style for more impact e.g. switching between finger and pick for different songs or playing in-front of the pickup or directly over it. That worked really well.

In retrospect I would have done differently-maybe next time I will switch the pups to "series" as the bass takes the lead for much of the time and could have done with a bit extra.

We had a good sound from the whole band and got lots of complements, including from the promoter and landlady, which is important as this was a showcase event for us.

There are some pictures here on Facebook but non that show the bass or the venue off well unfortunately:
[url="https://www.facebook.com/TheAngryBadgers"]https://www.facebook...TheAngryBadgers[/url]

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Pinball