Why become a member? ×

Cat Herder

Si600

Does anyone else perform the role of cat herder/kitten wrangler for their band? I found the drummer and vox, and I've arranged our rolling booking at the rehearsal space. I print out the list of things to work on for the session, send the emails to make sure the others don't forget, even though it's the same time and place every other week and now I'm being asked to bring a lead for the second guitarist for the second time.

Just once I'd like to turn up and play without micro managing the others!

On the other hand, if people management is the price I have to pay for actually having a band then I'll happily pay it :)

Edited by Si600

A little bit - it's not too much of a burden but I sure would appreciate a bit more help than I get at present, mostly with getting gigs, as I'm not a super confident person and I find the shadowy cabal of gig promoters and venue managers more than a little bit intimidating.

Not me, I am the technical one, I maintain the PA and lights and get amps fixed when needed, the booking of gigs and rehearsals and all other admin are left to the guitarist who is a HR manager......I will happily leave it to him......it has worked well for six years so far

I'm the only one who knows that you can't fit 32 songs into a 45 minute set. This conversation happens before every gig-
Band member : Lets do the set list...I want to include every song we've written.
Me: We can't , we have 45 minutes, that equates to about 10 songs.
Band Member: Ok but I really want to play songs 1-25!
Me: We can't, we have room for about 10, maybe twelve at a push.
Band Member : Ok, let's not do song 9
Other band member : but I like song 9, and what about songs 26-30?
Me : remember 45 minutes, that's 10 songs with intros + guitar changes
Band member : ok so just songs 1-45 oooh and we must play song 67 and 56 ooh and 46 etc
Me : why don't you just let me pick our 10 most rehearsed / appropriate songs?
Band members : Ok, that's a good idea......make sure you include every single song we have.

It's funny, my band doesn't seem to have anyone that fits into that role. It's very democratic. We have a Whatsapp group and everything is discussed in the open with everyone contributing equally. Potential songs are talked about, bookings, holiday all goes on our google calendar... works really well!

Having said that, we have yet to upgrade our PA (currently using guitarists little vocal PA) which might create some tension if no-one afford to buy everything in one fell swoop!

What's also weird, is that everyone's MD for their own songs. For example, I chose for us to play Sing It Back - Moloko so I end up directing it. The guitarist wants us to play Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - Jet so he directs that. Never been in a band that works that way before!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1415961695' post='2605558']

What's also weird, is that everyone's MD for their own songs. For example, I chose for us to play Sing It Back - Moloko so I end up directing it. The guitarist wants us to play Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - Jet so he directs that. Never been in a band that works that way before!

Truckstop
[/quote]

That sounds great. Would have to have the right mix of people to do that. We tend to have Singer who wants everything exactly as the original, drummer who doesn't care as long as we play it the same each time, guitarist who wants to keep it busy and not worry too much about form and me who doesn't like it too busy and likes to know roughly what the form is but not too fussed if we miss a verse or play an extra chorus when we're playing live.

Anyway - back to the original question. No I don't herd cats, I'm the boxing referee, standing between the drummer and the singer.

It varies.

In band 1 (Function Band) I'm the techie but don't really need to do much in the way of cat herding - we all muck in together and it gets done. :)

In band 2 (Pub Rock Covers Band) I'm the techie and share cat herding duties with the singer.

Those two bands are ticking over quite nicely with plenty of bookings, which is essential for me, but they're not stretching me.

I have however been feeling an urge to go 'back to my roots' over the last few months, so band 3 is currently set to go into rehearsal.

I've taken full control of that from day one to set expectations and musical direction, although I'll hand parts of it over once it's up to speed.