Why become a member? ×

Customizing EQ for 'Boombusting'

Roland Rock

I've just been playing with my power amp and thought I'd share my experiences in case it's of interest or benefit to others.
I have a Crown power amp, and there are several factory presets, but I always wanted to see how to create my own on the computer and sync with the power amp.

There is a confusing array of software related to Crown. First I tried Band Manager, but it never loaded up successfully. Then I tried System Architect, but it wouldn't recognize that a device was connected. Finally I tried Audio Architect, and after a simple-to-execute firmware update, all was ready to go.

The plan was to create a series of 'Boombusting' presets, i.e. cutting a specific frequency with each preset to try to eliminate any boom. As I understand it, the different shapes and sizes of venues may cause unwanted bass boom. The boom can originate anywhere between 80-250 Hz, and finding out the exact frequency can be a lucky dip.

So, I've created five 'boombusting' presets as follows:

-6db@80Hz
-6db@120Hz
-6db@160Hz
-6db@200Hz
-6db@250Hz

If I do detect boom in the room, I'll try each of these presets until it vanishes, leaving clean, smooth pure bass. That's the theory anyway.

Here's a screenshot showing how to set the EQ:

To be honest, it was more an exercise in having a play with the amp's capabilities - I don't get bad boom, but I'll have a play with the presets anyway, and it's nice to know that I can bust that boom should the need ever arise.

Edited by Roland Rock

I do the same with my Superfly, each preset with the same EQ save for one filter that I set at -9dB, at six different frequencies. When I encounter boom I can scroll up through the presets until I find the right one to suppress the boom in that room. Then I can tweak the other sliders to get the final tone that works best, though I seldom have to do much once the boom frequency is notched out.

I can't recall the last time I had a problem with any sort of boom.....
I used to have a semi parametric on an amp which would have been great perfect
for notching out any boom, but I haven't used it in years.
I far prefer shelving controls now, but once you find the sound that just amplifies
the bass that have set up properly, you are talking about setting levels and that is about it.

I think boom is a problem of the cabs, mostly...