Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Has the world really gone completely bonkers.  Does someone really want to pay nearly £24k for a one year old Wal?  I am sure it's nice, but........

PS, other than this looks like a Geddy Lee Wal, I don't think it has any direct link with him...or have I missed something?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/83832311-wal-mk2-geddy-lee-2023-red?_gl=1*1vx8p6a*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjw8rW2BhAgEiwAoRO5rDjH_W8GFJn3fxQ_CrsC23GKY8umDqJMOsC1-nUgABa395hwuaTDchoC05EQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I don’t know a lot about Geddy but didn’t they make a signature model based on what he played in the 80s

No signature models. Nobody gets sig models.

Geddy's two basses were just standard option items and quite a few were made even back then. He just happened to make those color combos very popular. 

same with Justin Chancellor, his is birdseye maple faces and a rosewood fingerboard... that was a base model Mk2 back then. Lots of folks order similar, but still not sigs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Has the world really gone completely bonkers.  Does someone really want to pay nearly £24k for a one year old Wal?  I am sure it's nice, but........

PS, other than this looks like a Geddy Lee Wal, I don't think it has any direct link with him...or have I missed something?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/83832311-wal-mk2-geddy-lee-2023-red?_gl=1*1vx8p6a*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjw8rW2BhAgEiwAoRO5rDjH_W8GFJn3fxQ_CrsC23GKY8umDqJMOsC1-nUgABa395hwuaTDchoC05EQAvD_BwE

Nope, this bass is new, about a year old. It has nothing to do with Geddy at all. It was ordered by a fella that frequents the facebook Wal Owners page. He had ordered this and a black & gold Mk1 as well.

Edited by mikeswals
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

As I commented on the FB page, it’s a free market and the seller is at liberty to list his item for sale at whatever price he wishes…

…of course, all the rest of us and any prospective buyers are also at liberty to say, “£24k? Yer ‘avin’ a laugh, mate!”

• Like 1

It's a silly price. But my god, it's also a stunner.

I saw a couple of these trans reds at the workshop when I went to pick mine up back in the early 90s, and even though I was pleased with the Schedua facings on mine, I remember thinking "wait... I could have perhaps had a translucent purple?!? Damn!"

Edited by simisker

On 27/08/2024 at 19:07, Piers_Williamson said:

I had a similar red one (which is now for sale for 14.000 euros in Germany) and if I recall correctly I sold that one for around 4000 euros less than ten years ago...My girlfriend says I should keep my three Wal basses although I sometimes want to sell them because I don't gig anymore..I think she's right the more I see.