Why become a member? ×

Any Blue Basses Out There?

gsgbass

This is my Sandblasted P bass. ive changed all the hardware to black. Big fan of black tuners on a maple neck. 

I got this on a whim used, for an amazing price a few years ago. Dont think I'll ever let it go. Its outlasted a few basses worth a lot more, inc a Yamaha P34.

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.42310ec4b98f0f817cb3dbd51647a00b.JPG

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is my Sandblasted P bass. ive changed all the hardware to black. Big fan of black tuners on a maple neck. 

I got this on a whim used, for Ana maxing price a few years ago. Dont think I'll ever let it go. Its outlasted a few basses worth a lot more, inc a Yamaha P34.

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.42310ec4b98f0f817cb3dbd51647a00b.JPG

Damn that’s cool. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0714.thumb.jpeg.b90ae1f3801acc8e453f754da8cafd2e.jpeg

My mate sold me his Squier Sonic Precision in California Blue for £100. I put the neck from my Squier Jazz on it, and added a tugbar, and it's amazing, it weighs about 2kg, sounds better than a £100 bass has any right to, and it's California Blue. With La Bella flats on 👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, meterman said:

IMG_0714.thumb.jpeg.b90ae1f3801acc8e453f754da8cafd2e.jpeg

My mate sold me his Squier Sonic Precision in California Blue for £100. I put the neck from my Squier Jazz on it, and added a tugbar, and it's amazing, it weighs about 2kg, sounds better than a £100 bass has any right to, and it's California Blue. With La Bella flats on 👍

Question - what do you use the tugbar for?  I know they were on the earliest Fender basses, but Fender thought people would play with their thumb - this was a long time before slapping came in!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Question - what do you use the tugbar for?  I know they were on the earliest Fender basses, but Fender thought people would play with their thumb - this was a long time before slapping came in!

Good question - my playing technique is weird, I actually do play with my thumb. Like, instead of a pick I use my thumb. I've only seen a couple of other players do it, but it's what I'm most comfortable doing. I can use a pick for most things, and my middle finger if the tune isn't too busy. But I can't slap to save my life. It helps that I usually only play bass on my own material, so I can choose between thumb and pick, but it's mostly thumb. Hence the tugbar. I'm lost without them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meterman said:

Good question - my playing technique is weird, I actually do play with my thumb. Like, instead of a pick I use my thumb. I've only seen a couple of other players do it, but it's what I'm most comfortable doing. I can use a pick for most things, and my middle finger if the tune isn't too busy. But I can't slap to save my life. It helps that I usually only play bass on my own material, so I can choose between thumb and pick, but it's mostly thumb. Hence the tugbar. I'm lost without them.

I got my first bass last weekend and the first instinctive thing I did (as a guitar player) was to use my thumb, but it wouldn't be fast enough for many songs - it's ok for slow ones, or for pounding out the root note, which is all some bands want the bassist to do.

I am learning as many techniques as I can (pick, fingers, slap) because the best one to use depends very much on the song.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

I got my first bass last weekend and the first instinctive thing I did (as a guitar player) was to use my thumb, but it wouldn't be fast enough for many songs - it's ok for slow ones, or for pounding out the root note, which is all some bands want the bassist to do.

I am learning as many techniques as I can (pick, fingers, slap) because the best one to use depends very much on the song.

Personally, I'd develop a good finger technique if I was starting again, on both hands.

I'm up to speed with thumb style playing but I couldn't play "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" that way, I'd have to use a pick, or pay someone else to play it for me. I'm self taught and just went with what felt right for me as I went along. I certainly wouldn't advocate thumb style as a technique at all. It's just how I play.