Why become a member? ×

Labella's (sorry in advance for a string thread!)

Wonky2

I made the change to flatwound strings a few months ago and thought for a first try I'd start with a moderately priced set, so went for the d'addario chromed.

I instantly loved the flats and wondered how I'd gone 23 years and never tried them???
I'd always used rounds and changed them quite regular too.

So, I'm going in the studio next weekend and thought I try and get a new set played in this week, thought I'd give the more premium brand Labella a go to as they seem to have great reviews all round.

So I'm struggling to find what I want....
Gauge wise, I've been using .045-100 and they feel nice, closest labella set i can see is .043-104.... I think I can live with the different string size but the only ones that size I can find say they are not suitable for through boy stringing ??????

Why is that? And can anyone point me to the best place to find what I'm looking for?

I'd be happy enough to just go with the diaddrios again but I wanted to try the labellas .

Thanks, and sorry for another string thread :)

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1417227849' post='2618465']
I made the change to flatwound strings a few months ago and thought for a first try I'd start with a moderately priced set, so went for the d'addario chromed.

I instantly loved the flats and wondered how I'd gone 23 years and never tried them???
I'd always used rounds and changed them quite regular too.

So, I'm going in the studio next weekend and thought I try and get a new set played in this week, thought I'd give the more premium brand Labella a go to as they seem to have great reviews all round.

So I'm struggling to find what I want....
Gauge wise, I've been using .045-100 and they feel nice, closest labella set i can see is .043-104.... I think I can live with the different string size but the only ones that size I can find say they are not suitable for through boy stringing ??????

Why is that? And can anyone point me to the best place to find what I'm looking for?

I'd be happy enough to just go with the diaddrios again but I wanted to try the labellas .

Thanks, and sorry for another string thread :)
[/quote]

A couple of things... Why so keen to use a new set for recording? They get better as they get older...

Also, I don't think you'll find many flats that are suitable for thru-body stringing. They just don't like the break angle as they're pulled across to the bridge.

The 43 gauge is pretty much comparable to 45 in rounds, IME. There's more body to the string which makes up for the slightly lighter gauge.

Again I'd ask why are you changing strings for the studio, older usually sounds better with flats.

La Bella 760FL (i.e 43-60-82-104) are the most commonly used La Bella flats. I wouldn't be too worried about the slight differences in gauge.

760FL don't really like stringing through body but La Bella do do sets that are for through body stringing - 750FL-TB [url="http://www.labella.com/products/760fl-tb/"]http://www.labella.com/products/760fl-tb/[/url]

I know the La Bella guys well and hey always say that through-body stringing makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to tone. They do make through-body sets because their customers kept asking for them.

You have to be really careful when stringing because you can get a twist in the string and this can make it go completely dead sounding (and not in a nice way) very quickly.

I've heard people say this is rubbish but I had a customer innocently with a brand new set of the new La Bella Low Tension flats fitted and he said the G strig was completely dead, lifeless and lower in volume. I slowly unwound it and it pinged round as it got loose. It was twisted about 90 degrees. I simply let the ball end spin until it was as straight as possible and carefully re-wound it - hey presto, it sounded much better and volume output was much more even :)

In terms of swapping strings to record I can definitely see what other people are saying about just trying the ones you already have. He only reason for changing might be that La Bellas, or other brands, should sound different from Chromes. It's just a personal thing but I really don't like the sound (or feel) of Chromes at all, probably my least favourite flat wounds.

A cheap(er) alternative might be Carvin flats that are made by La Bella but come in basic simple packaging. Only for regular bridge stringing though.

Thanks guys, all comments are useful :)

I know well that the strings will mature and are better left on, and I'll be happy to do that once I get a decent set that feels right and sounds even in tone and sustain...... The diaddrios just ain't that set.

As I said, I thought I'd trial a cheaper pack to see what the fuss about flats was and it turns out i like them!!!
So yes, the week before a studio visit isn't exactly the best time to do it, but I'm confident I'll have played them in enough by d day.
Once I get hooked up with a set i like ill stick with them and inevitably leave them on.

I have been using the diaddrios with my sponge it on some tracks on happy thumping along without too.
What I found to like from the flats was the round fullness of tone but I didn't expect them to ring so clear as well, that's the part i like the most.
I hear what your saying about twisted strings, I had an issue with a kingbass I had which had a dead d sting which drove me mad. I later found that my OCD approach t stringing my bass and having all the string beads facing the same way was the cause of the problem. Not so much an issue will single ball end, but when you do hat with double ball end your gonna make that string uncomfortable :)
I know know to let them lie where they want to lie :)

My bridge will allow through body or bridge stringing so no big deal on that and the gauge shouldn't be an issue then....

I'll give them ago. Can always string up these diaddarios again if need be.