Why become a member? ×

Precision bass string spacing - and replacement saddle options

fretmeister

I have a lovely Jap P bass, but the string spacing is a little wide for me - I've not accurately measured it but IIRC most Fender 4 strings are about 22mm at the bridge, and most of my other basses are about 19, or even 18 on the 5 strings.

I'm happy with the existing BBOT bridge as long as I can use replacement saddles to narrow the spacing a bit - but there are choices.

Current USA Fenders come with 3 or 4 quite large grooves cut in the saddles to allow adjustment. But vintage Fenders actually seem to have threaded saddles where the whole thing is grooved, but not as deep.

Does either of these have an advantage over the other?

And just as importantly - where's the cheapest place to get them?

ta

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1417434276' post='2620214']
I have a lovely Jap P bass, but the string spacing is a little wide for me - I've not accurately measured it but IIRC most Fender 4 strings are about 22mm at the bridge, and most of my other basses are about 19, or even 18 on the 5 strings.

I'm happy with the existing BBOT bridge as long as I can use replacement saddles to narrow the spacing a bit - but there are choices.

Current USA Fenders come with 3 or 4 quite large grooves cut in the saddles to allow adjustment. But vintage Fenders actually seem to have threaded saddles where the whole thing is grooved, but not as deep.

ta
[/quote]
I don't know where you've got that 22mm figure from? All mine are 19mm +/- a smidgen. If they were 66mm or greater across the bridge, the E & G would be too close to the edge of the fingerboard at 20th fret for comfort I'd think :huh:

Easy to get the threaded saddle type on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-P-Bass-J-Bass-Vintage-Bridge-Assembly-/261680105943

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1417434880' post='2620223']
I don't know where you've got that 22mm figure from? All mine are 19mm +/- a smidgen. If they were 66mm or greater across the bridge, the E & G would be too close to the edge of the fingerboard at 20th fret for comfort I'd think :huh:

Easy to get the threaded saddle type on ebay: [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-P-Bass-J-Bass-Vintage-Bridge-Assembly-/261680105943"]http://www.ebay.com/...y-/261680105943[/url]
[/quote]

what he said... 22mm? 19 on mine!
I use the bridges in the link as it allows me to widen up the spacing a bit more (I like 20-21mm best), but you could similarly use them to narrow it. Incidentally... you could buy the saddles alone and mount them on your existing bridge, saving a few quid. I got two sets myself recently.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1417434276' post='2620214']

ta
[/quote]
The fully threaded saddles are quite useful- came on my bass doc bass