Why become a member? ×

Andertons, Guildford - Wasted my time.

Shockwave

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1417890614' post='2624944']
People make mistakes - it happens - it's life - deal with it (professionally) and move on....
:)
[/quote]

I'm totally with you. It's just a shame that so many customers these days see human errors as an area of exploitation. They too often know that businesses don't want unhappy customers and use that to bully the retailer in to giving them some sort of 'compensation' so that they brag about how they 'won' or got a 'great deal' at the next open mic night (such bragging is a regular occurrence at our local open mic night!). I find that aspect of our culture repulsive. Bullying a member of staff who can't control such a mistake, knowing full well that they will have no choice but to give you something as a 'sorry' for the fact that they did something human is just disgusting IMO. Fair enough if they are rude or offensive etc but not for a simple human error. It's on par with America's culture of suing IMO.

One of the last bits of gear that I bought was mis delivered due to a human error (the item was sent out a day early and to my work address rather than my home address). That's just down to a simple mistake. I didn't ring them up and start moaning and kicking off like an arsehole, demanding some sort of compensation like I am OWED it because someone made a small mistake. I just accepted that these things happen and nothing bad came of it. I'd happily use the store again and recommend them to everyone as the service throughout was excellent and mistakes happen.

As for the OP, I totally understand the disappointment and I imagine that some of that may have been helped if the manager had been more apologetic about the error and less flippant. From the other comments, it sounds like it's not a common issue with Andertons.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1417886583' post='2624905']
If the manager had a go at an employee in front of a customer that would have been far more unprofessional than a warehousing error.
[/quote]

Indeed. Besides that, it's never good practice to have a go at people you work with or who work for you. That's not how one obtains the best from people. Mistakes happen. Highlight them and work to make sure they don't happen again.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1417890614' post='2624944']
For my sins, I'm a manager. I wouldn't dream of having a go at an employee in front of a customer. What I might or might not say afterwards to that employee is entirely another matter(!). People make mistakes - it happens - it's life - deal with it (professionally) and move on....
:)
[/quote]

Precisely :)

Shockwave - I find this slightly difficult to follow. Are you annoyed at how the staff handled this, or are you annoyed that they simply didn't have the instruments you wanted to try out?

It looks to me that the store manager did his best - tried to locate the missing basses, asked if they could be delivered to the store, dealt with you in a calm, respectable manner, even though this mistake was totally out of his hands. Sounds like a pretty good manager to me. If he had offered you something, as you suggested, would you be any happier? Would your impression of Anderton's music emporium be a slightly more positive one?