Why become a member? ×

Compensation Issues

blue

[size=5][u][b][font="Arial"]Compensation Issues[/font][/b][/u][/size]

[size=5][font="Arial"]I'm curious for those that play for money, when your in the audition process when and how do you ask about how and when you are paid?[/font][/size]

[size=5][font="Arial"]When do you prefer to receive payment and what do you prefer, monthly payroll, check, cash ?[/font][/size]

[size=5][font="Arial"]Blue[/font][/size]

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1418157259' post='2627558']
I ask either on the phone or by email, or whatever the bands preferred method of communication is before I decide to audition or not.
[/quote]

So you ask about compensation before you would audition. Makes sense.

For some reason I was thinking some might ask about the money after they are offered the job.

I guess if the pay isn't right, why audition.

Blue

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1418157049' post='2627555']
Crikey Blue, I thought Milwaukee was in the States! I didn't realise is was on another planet! where musicians get paid & get a monthly payroll!!

Maybe I should move there!

Most in "Blighty" I would bet struggle to compensate petrol money -- never mind strings,etc.

Brendan
[/quote]

I believe some of the agency bands are on payroll just like a traditional business.

Me, right now I'm paid in cash usually before we play. But were a $500.00 bar band. I can't imaging someone paying out 5 grand in cash to a band. I don't know, never been close to that sort of gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1418161337' post='2627624']
When you get that big, your manager handles all that sh*t. You just spend on your credit card and leave the rest for the lawyers and accountants to sweat about. :mellow:
[/quote]

I wish I could get to that level of the business, and I'm trying!

I hear about these guys out on tours getting $1500.00 to 2 grand a week. And that's with no expenses.

Blue

Pub bands usually get the money at the end of the gig from the landlord/manager. The money is shared out during the pack down.

We used to do the same at weddings. Band leader received the brown envelope discretely from the best man then counted it all out on the stage into 7 nice piles in front of all the guests... :D

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418307958' post='2629005']
Pub bands usually get the money at the end of the gig from the landlord/manager. The money is shared out during the pack down.

We used to do the same at weddings. Band leader received the brown envelope discretely from the best man then counted it all out on the stage into 7 nice piles in front of all the guests... :D
[/quote]

I know musicians who never play until they're paid. They carry the gear in, find the landlord/best man, and ask for the money, then do the gig.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1418313423' post='2629091']
I know musicians who never play until they're paid. They carry the gear in, find the landlord/best man, and ask for the money, then do the gig.
[/quote]

That's classic Chuck Berry.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418307958' post='2629005']
Pub bands usually get the money at the end of the gig from the landlord/manager. The money is shared out during the pack down.[/quote]

I think this method is best at the pub band level.

Tip, beware of the band fund unless your young and on the [i]"Were going to make it to the big time path"[/i]

[i]Blue[/i]

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1418313423' post='2629091']
I know musicians who never play until they're paid. [/quote]

Ever go to see one of your national headliners, their suppose to start at 9:00 and everyone is still waiting for the band to come out and it's 9:30? That's usually because their waiting for that money.

Blue