Why become a member? ×

Conquering GAS

Chiliwailer

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419075123' post='2636226']
I don't have GAS because I view bass gear as tools to do a job.

I do have GAS for gigging. The more gigs the better but stuff is just stuff.

When better or more appropriate gear comes along I'll check it out and if it really is an improvement I'll get one, but gear for gear's sake doesn't interest me.
[/quote]

Nice comment. I agree that once you have the right tools the focus should be on using them.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1419078487' post='2636280']
Aha, should have guessed,,,,

Yup, cracker of a bass. Love my CS 1955 Precision, outstanding quality.
[/quote]
I sent a cheeky email this afternoon about this bass and discovered its just been sold. The ultimate GAS killer!

So it's a NBD for me. The Lull P4 is a sweet instrument, not the best P Bass I've ever owned or played but it's just the tool I was missing. At under 7.5 lbs it is amazingly light, and with my nerve damage issues that's a big deal for me. It doesn't sound as direct as my last CS Precision (which is half sold to a BC'er and around for comparison) , but then basses under 8 lbs never really do have that type of tone and at a still light 8.5lbs it was still too heavy. I'm having surgery soon and wil be able to do some light casual playing with mates, this bass will be perfect for that.

I'm only human, there will be basses that turn my head, but I can't see GAS being an issue no more.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1419085747' post='2636386']
The closest I have come to not having GAS was when I bought a Dingwall. I naively thought that was "the one" and that I would never suffer again.
How wrong I was. It took me a while to come to that realisation, but I let the Dingwall go and sought out a lighter and shorter five string.
In the meantime I've also acquired a few more four strings, one of which came from you Chiliwailer ;-)
Always on the lookout for a YOB Jazz, as well as a white Stingray 4H SLO with a maple board. Also on my radar are another Rickenbacker if the right one showed itself and possibly another Status. The main problem is that the Internet makes all this window shopping so easy.
[/quote]

Mate, considering the beautiful and well chosen heard of basses you own, why stop adding to such a cool collection!
Now there's a flip side to this discussion!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1419085811' post='2636390']

I sent a cheeky email this afternoon about this bass and discovered its just been sold. The ultimate GAS killer!
[/quote]

Argh!

Edit - is this thread a GAS creator?

Edited by Chiliwailer

I have just brought a 70's Antoria 335 Guitar.....I don't even play guitar in a band anymore so certainly didn't need another six stringer, if the right guitar comes up at the right price GAS will just jump out and hit the "buy it now" button

It's a cracking guitar and at £150.00 delivered well, it would have been rude not to!