Why become a member? ×

Ibanez sr300, 370, 400, 500, 600 which one?

Twincam

Going to order a new bass this weekend. Im not going to be able to test any of these but i like a slim neck and in general all the models listed get good reviews. I know the differences in detail between them all.

Im thinking get the sr300 i can upgrade the electronics as i see fit and i already have some barts that would be a direct fit. And im also thinking i really would like a much higher grade bass later this year so if i got the cheaper version i would have a good base amount of money left over to start saving on.

Or maybe i should go for the best i can afford now?.

Oh and im only looking to buy new. New year, new bass.

Thoughts?

I've been using SR505's (the 5 string version of the SR500) for... must be around 20 years.
I'm actually on my second one now. :)

It usually gets gigged at least once a week and has done more studio sessions than any other bass I've ever owned (and I've owned a few over the last 35 years).

If you particularly want to experiment then an SR300 is a reasonable choice, although you may struggle to find parts to fit easily.

If you want a bass that will stand the test of time and cope with the rigours of heavy use, then go for the SR500. :)

Whatever you do though, try at least one of the SR series before you buy.
They all have really slim necks and if you have big hands you might not get on with it. :)

When I was looking for a compliment 5 string to go with my SR1000, I got a SR505 (the one I am selling now!) as it is noticeably better than the 300s, but the differences going up are less noticeable. The 300s get you the basics.

Feel wise they are all pretty similar.

I have owned many Ibbyzz over the years and I would go for the 500 or the 700 if your budget can stretch. They have a nice finish on them. The 300 are nice but why buy this model and upgrade the pickups, when you can buy the 500 and have a really good bass right from the off?

And as icastle said above, try before you buy as the necks are positively Kate Moss. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1420072824' post='2645411']
Where did you get the barts, if you don't mind me asking . I've been looking to get some for my 300
[/quote]

Oh i bought them a while back came from a sr500 that someone had put a different set in and different electrics.

I think i will go with the sr300 as said i can upgrade the pu's right away and if i don't like bass ive not spent to much. If i like it then i will upgrade later in the year to a better sr model.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1420126032' post='2645840']

Oh i bought them a while back came from a sr500 that someone had put a different set in and different electrics.

I think i will go with the sr300 as said i can upgrade the pu's right away and if i don't like bass ive not spent to much. If i like it then i will upgrade later in the year to a better sr model.
[/quote]

Excellent. The barts are quite difficult to get hold of, and new they're quite expensive

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1420077367' post='2645452']
Buy a used SR500 for the same money as a new 300. They come up all the time.

Jon.
[/quote]
[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1420077760' post='2645458']
When I was looking for a compliment 5 string to go with my SR1000, I got a SR505 (the one I am selling now!) as it is noticeably better than the 300s, but the differences going up are less noticeable. The 300s get you the basics.

Feel wise they are all pretty similar.
[/quote]
[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1420124966' post='2645824']
I have owned many Ibbyzz over the years and I would go for the 500 or the 700 if your budget can stretch. They have a nice finish on them. The 300 are nice but why buy this model and upgrade the pickups, when you can buy the 500 and have a really good bass right from the off?

And as icastle said above, try before you buy as the necks are positively Kate Moss. :)
[/quote]

I agree with the above, everything I have seen is good quality from the 500 upwards. Personally I prefer the "bolt on neck" SR's as they tend to be a bit lighter and sound equally as good.

Congratulations on the "Barts", I had an SR1300 with Barts and it was a superb combination.

The SR300s are great VFM but I think if you can stretch a little the SR500/600 are worth it. I've been gassing over the SR605 for a couple of years now, I think the ash looks nicer than the mahogany in the SR500s, and it should give a little more snap and definition to my mind. That said, I haven't seen one in the flesh to try out, although i've played many 500s.

They're all good basses to be fair.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1420326236' post='2648204']
Bought a peavey active millennium, for me and just my opinion it was just a touch better than the sr300 and 400. i am thinking later in the year get a high end SR or peavey.
[/quote]

Cool go with your heart. Peavy aren't fashionable at the moment but they made/make some great basses and that makes them good value for money.

Enjoy your purchase :)