Why become a member? ×

I decided to get my Stingray neck lacquered

mcnach

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1422984289' post='2679159']
What do you do about keeping the lacquer off the frets, do they have to be masked up?
[/quote]

I don't know... I don't do that part, I only request what the final result should be :P

I suspect they get lacquered, and then cleaned out afterwards. My frets were oh so shiny when I got teh bass back :)

Hmm, I don't like a lacquered neck me... probably because I sweat like a sweaty thing at gigs and find that my fretting hand is seriously hampered by what quickly becomes a sticky neck - even if it's not at any other time... but my Spector Euro is a painted finish and that's fine. Otherwise it's out with the Scotchbrite pad - it will take off enough of the finish to solve the problem, but can be got back up to a shine if necessary with the minimum of fuss.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1422984289' post='2679159']
What do you do about keeping the lacquer off the frets, do they have to be masked up?
[/quote]

Mine were removed then replaced after painting, wasn't cheap but it's an awesome finish. I asked for it to look & feel like a Classic & that's exactly what I got. Couldn't be happier with it, in fact Jon took pictures for his website & they'll be better that my rubbish phone ones.

Edit* removing the frets helped with the cleaning & sanding of the fretboard.

Edited by Horizontalste

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422993270' post='2679307']
Hmm, I don't like a lacquered neck me... probably because I sweat like a sweaty thing at gigs and find that my fretting hand is seriously hampered by what quickly becomes a sticky neck - even if it's not at any other time... but my Spector Euro is a painted finish and that's fine. Otherwise it's out with the Scotchbrite pad - it will take off enough of the finish to solve the problem, but can be got back up to a shine if necessary with the minimum of fuss.
[/quote]i agree i really can't play fast or comfortably with a lacquered neck and i don't even sweat a lot.. just feels like its holding me up. sorry about the sanding Jose. :lol: i like to feel the wood.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1422995563' post='2679366']
i agree i really can't play fast or comfortably with a lacquered neck and i don't even sweat a lot.. just feels like its holding me up. sorry about the sanding Jose. :lol: i like to feel the wood.
[/quote]

:lol:
I thought of a number of things I could reply to that, but I changed my mind... it's too obvious, not even 'discreet' bites that one :lol: