Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision dilemna

paul j h

Hi folks, I wonder if I can utilise your extensive knowledge. I have a 1978 ash bodied, maple neck Fender Precision in natural, when I bought it, it had/has a formerly fretless maple neck that was subsequently fretted (not by me), the side dots are where the frets are.
The body has had a Jazz pick up fitted and this and the p pick up are Bartolini active pick ups, a NTMP - 918F set this obviously required the routing for the jazz, making the controls cavity larger and routing on the back for two 9v batterys. Now the whole vibe of the bass is that of a vintage Precision version of the Marcus Miller bass, the layout of controls and scratch plate are virtually the same.

I however, have at long last realised that my needs are just a simple one passive pick up bass. now I really like the neck, although the dots confuse me! and body colour/wear on the body but don't like the rest, even though it sounds awesome.

Eventually we get to the dilemma bit, do I/can I get the cavitys filled and still retain the same body finish or would it need refinishing to cover up the work. Has anyone any experience of this sort of work? likely costs? can show examples etc. Or should I just sell/trade and get a normal Precision?

I will post photos when I work out how to!

The original bass is now long gone and I'd be inclined to buy another P bass. The cost to try to return the instrument to its factory configuration whilst keeping the reliced aspect and also trying to fill in the old side dots and installing new ones in the right places (assuming you keep the original neck leaving it now fretted) might well cost as much as a new Fender. I think you'd certainly be able to get yourself something like a Squier CV Precision for somewhat less than the cost of the work involved. All IMHO of course!

You could certainly get the cavities filled in but it will be visible without a re-fin, I have seen a natural bass that has had this work done (I assume it was on this forum as I can't think where else it will have been) - I didn't think it looked too bad but I suppose it depends on what you're after. If your current finish is already quite worn you could just look at it as just another war wound.

I'm not sure what the re-sale value would be on such a heavily modified P but you could probably sell it then put a couple of hundred in towards buying another 70's P, they still haven't got to the silly prices of the earlier ones so that might be viable.

Or (and this is probably what I would do) you could keep an eye out for an old P body then just move all your other bits across (other than the extra bits you don't need), that way you can get what you want but always have the option of going back if you don't like it.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1420711948' post='2652333']
...keep an eye out for an old P body then just move all your other bits across (other than the extra bits you don't need), that way you can get what you want but always have the option of going back if you don't like it.
[/quote]

This seems like a more viable option than having a lot of expensive work done that may or may not be successful.

IMO it's not worth the expense of restoration. It'll never be an original bass again.

You could get the preamp bypassed or just switch the J pickup off and put the active controls to the center.

There are dots you can stick on the side of a neck.

I'd keep it as a great punchy, active, modern sounding bass and just buy a standard P bass with flats for the music that suits that style.