Why become a member? ×

BBS Opto Stomp

TRBboy

Hi folks, just wondered if anyone has/had one of these, and could tell me how they got on? I'm kind of looking for a nice, simple, natural comp that will offer a little boost/fatness, without affecting my tone too much. I only need it to even out my sound a little really, as I play fingerstyle, pick and a little slap, I don't need any extreme limiting/squashing. If anyone has any other suggestions for not too much cash, I'd be glad to hear them.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a trek to try one out, hence why I'm asking.

Currently just using a compressor patch on my zoom B3, but I want to free that patch up (and have a better quality compression if possible).

Thanks for your help! :D

I've had mine for a few years now. I use it for a hint of compression, just to tighten up my tone a tad. It's a very transparent compressor. It works wonders on my P bass tone. There are pedals out there with lots more controls and they all have their selling points, but this one only has comp, volume and a 0/-15dB switch. For subtle yet effective old school kind of compression it's the business.
If your going to buy one don't get the newer brown label 'moustache' version, it's not that good. The one you want is the earlier yellow label version. They usually go for about £60 second hand here on BC. From what you're saying you want from a compressor an Opto Stomp should do the job for you.
If you want to read lots of good compressor reviews, including the Opto Stomp, check out www.ovnilab.com. And keep your eyes open in the classifieds.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1420934812' post='2655356']
Thanks for the info man, yeah I've been reading reviews on Ovnilabs again! :D

What exactly is wrong with the current yellow/moustache ones?
[/quote]

Sorry I've just re-read the review where he says about "ticky" noises..... There seems to be a lot of very positive reviews of this version from users though.

As I own a yellow label my experience is limited to that earlier model. But I've read plenty about the brown label not being in the same league. The newer builds may well still be a good compressor, with its ticking faults long since cured by BBE, but the yellow labels are the sought after ones, in my experience. You'd have to get a brown label owner to give an opinion too I guess, but it's going to be hard for you to decide which to get unless you can A/B them side by side which may prove difficult. For £50-£60 I'd take a punt on one and make your own mind up. If it works for you you'll have a great compressor!

I had the yellow label Opto Stomp (bought and sold on BC) to use on guitar. It is smooth and noise-free, and is one of those effects where you don't really notice how good it is until you turn it off. In the end I found it a bit subtle, and eventually settled on the wallet-worryingly expensive Origin Effects Cali76. This has loads more knobs, and allows me to enjoy subtle compression with the guitar volume on about 7, and audible 'quack' with the volume maxed. I should also mention it takes up more than twice as much 'board space as the Opto Stomp!

Thanks for the help guys, not sure what's the best thing to do, maybe I'll just wait to see what comes up on the forum for sale. In the meantime, I might go back to using my GLX Bass Limiter (Boss LMB3) for now and see how that goes.

If anyone has any other suggestions though, please let me know! :D

After doing a lot of looking around at different pedals and reviews, it looks like the best option for me is probably the Budda Chakra; it seems like exactly what I'm looking for, gets a great review on Ovnilab, and hiya can buy a brand new one for a touch under £60 :D

Thanks again guys, on to the next thing now.... I'll start a new thread though!