Why become a member? ×

Frankenfanny Jazz Bass

Rumple

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1433675834' post='2792958']
Been very busy recently and this got left in the shed and forgotten about, unfortunately it fell over and the finish got damaged right down to the wood :( but I'm looking at it as a positive thing as I wasn't that impressed with my prep work and there were plenty of small dings and dents, so yesterday I sanded most of the finish off and applied more primer and today I've started applying the gold again, it's not perfect but a lot lot more acceptable this time :) I just have to make sure it doesn't fall over this time!

I've ordered some hooks so I can hang it from the shed rafters rather than trying to stand it up.
[/quote]

Bummer!

Happens to us all, though and, as you say, it is sometimes the excuse we all need to prompt further improvement :)

Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1433676375' post='2792968']
Bummer!

Happens to us all, though and, as you say, it is sometimes the excuse we all need to prompt further improvement :)

Andy
[/quote]

Thanks Andy, I'm learning all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1434696261' post='2801839']
Any progress? Any pics? :)
[/quote]

Here's a couple of snaps Andy, I'm hoping for a dry and windless weekend so I can get some more lacquer on there. It's never going to be perfect but hopefully will look OK from a distance once it's all done and polished.

[attachment=194668:IMAG0796 lr.jpg] [attachment=194669:IMAG0797 lr.jpg]

Edited by Rumple

• 2 weeks later...

Another lesson learned today :lol:

DO NOT tape the pickup cavities so close to the top edge that when you remove it it chips the finish, not really a problem on the neck pup cavity but it looks a bit naff on the exposed bridge one. I'm not starting again so I'll live with it (for now) and with that in mind I got on with T-Cutting the lacquer.

Ordered some Autobright car wax from Ebay.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1436113874' post='2815067']
Another lesson learned today :lol:

DO NOT tape the pickup cavities so close to the top edge that when you remove it it chips the finish, not really a problem on the neck pup cavity but it looks a bit naff on the exposed bridge one. I'm not starting again so I'll live with it (for now) and with that in mind I got on with T-Cutting the lacquer.

Ordered some Autobright car wax from Ebay.
[/quote]
Every build I do I have at least one of these kind of glitches. Most of them, as you say, it's best to just live with. Many times I've tried to tweak the error and simply made it worse!
Looking forward to seeing the finished finish....

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1436337536' post='2817111']
Every build I do I have at least one of these kind of glitches. Most of them, as you say, it's best to just live with. Many times I've tried to tweak the error and simply made it worse!
Looking forward to seeing the finished finish....
[/quote]

I did think about spraying a bit of paint into the lid of the can and using a small artists brush to tidy things up on the edge of the pickup route but as you say I'll probably make things worse.

This morning I did a bit more T-Cutting and then polishing, I'm giving my over all efforts at refinishing 6.5 out of 10 mostly for effort :D The final result looks better in the picture than it does in reality, in addition to anything mentioned above there's a bit of orange peel to the lacquer, maybe I should have lightly sanded it some more but I was worried about breaking through the thin finish.

From a distance, looked at head on & in normal lighting it's passable :)

[attachment=196077:IMAG0801 lr.jpg]

• 1 month later...

It's finally finished! with the caveat that the bridge will need to the better aligned at some point, I'm holding off doing that until I can work out if the bridge has slightly too small string spacing as I can't see any adjustment to positioning it making all 4 strings line up with the pickup pole pieces.

My mate wired it up for me with a push/pull switch for series/parallel modes and a PIO Cap, it sounds great in all configurations but I particularly like the sound of the bridge pickup solo'd, I usually play with both fully on but I think because the J&D pickups are quite hot it's sound great with just the Bridge on.

One of the many things I've learned doing this bitsa bass is that not all parts that look like Fender parts are necessarily exactly the same dimensions, for instance the curve at the heal of the neck isn't identical on the J&D neck and Squier body, they fit together and it's fine but not perfect. same thing goes for the bell plate and pickguard.

Thanks for all the comments and help :)

I'll call it a day on this thread.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1440315653' post='2849700']
Nicely done! I had never considered gold as a viable bass colour until now!
[/quote]

I guess it is a bit 'bling' but I like it.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1440358065' post='2850095']
This JB looks cool.....

I hope to start the strip down and rebuild on mine soon.
[/quote]

Thanks and good luck with your project.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1440407053' post='2850314']
I guess it is a bit 'bling' but I like it.

[/quote]

Looks like nice work to me. I think you've every right to be pleased. I'd be bl**dy ecstatic if something I'd done came out that well :D