Why become a member? ×

Overwater 1980s Medium scale bass - ON HOLD
£280

Paul S

I bought this recently on here and have completely failed to bond with it so now moving it on.

Original thread here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244948-80s-overwater/page__p__2619525__hl__overwater__fromsearch__1#entry2619525"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2619525[/url]

This is a beautifully made bass, info from seller was that it was hand built in England in the 80s in an apparently limited run of around 200 and would have cost back then around £800.

Very glossy black finish, single active EMG pickup, chunky bridge, 32" scale, set neck, 38mm wide at the nut, jumbo tuners, weighs around 8.5lbs. Absolute quality build.

Issues. When i got it the G string was quiet compared to the rest. By a process of elimination I reasoned that the pickup was faulty and swapped it for an EMG active pickup, which also meant a complete change of electrics. So I did that. I discovered that, actually, the G string is still a little quiet and, looking into this, I discovered that the EMG pickup as originally fitted and also the new one are both for 50mm max string spacings. Listening carefully the E string was also a little quiet, which fits. Seems incredible, but this must be a design flaw.

Currently the bridge, which looks like a Schaller, cannot be adjusted for string spacing to reduce it down to 50mm total width. What I have done is shifted the saddles closer to each other - the bottoms of the screw are now off their little tracks and tied this way with a cable tie. Bit of a Heath Robinson fix but it works - everything on the bridge is still adjustable. Pic shows exactly what is going on.

If I were going to keep it I would swap out the bridge for a more adjustable one. But I don't want to spend any more money on it as I haven't bonded with it - the tone is just not one I want to have, I find it a bit too honky and nasally. but it is an EMG for heaven's sake, not rubbish! Currently fitted with flats.

If you are looking for a lightweight, medium scale bass built to the highest standard then this could be for you. For the money it is a complete bargain. I paid £300 plus £57 for the pickup. For [s]£280[/s] £260 plus the cost of a bridge (if you felt like upgrading the cable tie affair, that is :) ) I doubt you'd find better value.

£25 will get it posted to anywhere on mainland UK, ask for further afield. Collect from SS7 or meet half way.

Ta!

[attachment=181077:ow1.jpg][attachment=181078:ow2.jpg][attachment=181079:ow3.jpg][attachment=181080:ow4.jpg][attachment=181081:ow5.jpg][attachment=181082:ow6.jpg][attachment=181083:ow7.jpg][attachment=181084:ow8.jpg]

Edited by Paul S

Bump.

I'll be happy to trade this with something to equivalent value or +/- cash adjustment if necessary. Lights, good quality overdrive, decent mixer, what-have-you. If you are interested and have something kicking around to trade, run it past me. I can only say no. :)

Edit additional 'non-bump' - going on holiday until 28th so won't be able to answer the huge pile of PMs until i get back. :)

Edited by Paul S

• 2 weeks later...