Why become a member? ×

OLP Stingray MM2 (John East, Nordstrand)
£350

acidbass

Hi all,

It is with great regret that I am putting up for sale this wonderful bass! However - I just don't have a use for it any more due to playing Jazz basses exclusively. If there is no interest I will keep her but this beauty deserves to be played.

[attachment=181499:20150118_212535.jpg]
[b]CLICK ON PHOTO FOR HI-RES[/b]
[b]MORE PHOTOS BELOW[/b]

The bass is an OLP MM2 4 string Stingray bass. These are the licenced copies of Ernie Ball Musicman Stingrays and they feel identical. To be honest this one is a little lighter on the shoulder than an old EB Stingray which I had previously.

Anyway - I bought the bass second hand (stock) and had some modifications performed by a luthier:

- John East MMSR 2 band EQ (based on a 70s 'Ray)
- Nordstrand MM 4.2 pickup (based on a mid 70's pre-EB 'Ray)
- Cream scratchplate (made by The Bass Doc of this parish)
- Full setup and fret dress

I really wanted to emulate that Bernard Edwards, mid-70's Stingray tone and to be honest, the modifications absolutely nailed it! The bass sounds so funky with the treble rolled off (think 'Good Times'), and when the treble is maxed there is a lot of definition with a lovely high end zing for slapping. The new scratchplate was just an aesthetic thing but it looks really good against the natural/maple combination.

Unfortunately, as I said above, I'm pretty much using one of two Jazz basses for my gigs now and I don't believe in having good instruments sitting idle and not being played.

Overall this cost me £150 for the bass, £110 for the preamp, £100 for the pickup and £40 for the scratchplate. Total cost of parts - £400, plus labour on top.

I will take a little less than that at [u][b]£280 INCLUDING SHIPPING[/b][/u]. The bass will also be restrung and setup with a new set of Rotosound roundwounds. I will package the bass meticulously and send it via courier. Prefer payment via Bank Transfer to save on PayPal fees - see my feedback thread and buy with confidence.

Thanks for looking and happy EADGing

Danny

[attachment=181500:20150118_212608.jpg]
[attachment=181501:20150118_212655.jpg]
[attachment=181502:20150118_212805.jpg]
[attachment=181503:20150118_212822.jpg]

Edited by acidbass

• 8 months later...

I could maybe have a go at it Jass but the equipment I'd be using would be quite basic! It is a very 'Ray' sound anyway with the treble open, and leans more towards that 70s pre-EB Ray tone when treble is cut.

I will see what I can do this weekend :)