Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘Disturbing The Peace’, from Leonard Smalls...

Dad3353

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:181945]
[size=4]Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some will be inspired to give the works a listen, and perhaps vote for their favourite. All the pieces can be heard here...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254191-january-composition-challenge-voting"]BC January Composition Challenge voting...[/url][/size]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/disturbing-the-peace"]‘Disturbing The Peace’, from Leonard Smalls...[/url][/size]

[size=4]A swingeing 'big beat', played, it would seem, on an industrial kit in a foundry, and a very 'sub' bass introduce the piece, which very quickly becomes a hotch-potch of heteroclite sound effects and 'voices off', giving a very unsettling sense of motion. Is there a pilot in the cockpit..? Things seems to be becoming slightly more coherent when an ex-US president graces us with a few typically well-chosen words. Pearls of wisdom, or pearls before swine..? The background effects and voices lend a mocking, jeering tone to the speech; is this what provokes the glitchy stuttering that now afflicts the poor fellow..? He is, apparently, unable now to put forth a complete sentence, or even a phrase. One understands, with some difficulty, that he is 'strongly committed'. Why are we not surprised..? The vacarm continues recklessly; the great man's invective is now turned towards Middle Eastern minorities; one feels the impending approach of a straitjacket. None too soon, as the careering tuneless tune finally gives ground, and the piece nose-dives into silence. 3'09". It seems longer.[/size]
[size=4]Hmm... A more than tenuous link with the picture, I'm afraid, and I can't say that the musicality [i]per se[/i] gave it many saving graces. If there is to be any redemption, it is in the courage displayed in presenting the work, and some thoughts are spared in shuddering at the hours spent in creating, and listening back to, this opus. There is rhythm, although I don't see this getting very high in the disco charts. There is an atonal grumbling bass line of sorts, attesting to some, slight, almost human intervention, but if I had to choose any one piece to save from a burning building, I would be hosing this with kerosene. Some may like it, of course; we live in strange times. Disturbing, the piece..? Definitely.[/size]

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254225-play-of-the-day-run-rabid-run-reprise-from-bilbo/"]Play of the Day : ‘Run Rabid Run Reprise’, from Bilbo...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/9thaspect/rave-bunny"]‘Rave Bunny’, from Stephen Houghton...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas[/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422213529' post='2669944']

A more than tenuous link with the picture, I'm afraid, and I can't say that the musicality [i]per se[/i] gave it many saving graces.

Some may like it, of course; we live in strange times. Disturbing, the piece..? Definitely.

[/quote]

Cheers Douglas! I didn't expect it to appeal to lovers of nice melodies, or even music!
But someone's voted fore it, Gawd 'elp 'em!
Anyway, the link with the picture is that the picture is based on a lady in a Burkah protesting, and Bush gave many folks in the Middle East good reason to protest. She's no doubt disturbing the peace to fight the war - to paraphrase the annoyingly tuneful and rather po-faced Joan Baez...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1422260493' post='2670299']
Cheers Douglas! I didn't expect it to appeal to lovers of nice melodies, or even music!
But someone's voted fore it, Gawd 'elp 'em!
Anyway, the link with the picture is that the picture is based on a lady in a Burkah protesting, and Bush gave many folks in the Middle East good reason to protest. She's no doubt disturbing the peace to fight the war - to paraphrase the annoyingly tuneful and rather po-faced Joan Baez...
[/quote]

Good afternoon, Len...

Thanks for the clarification (not strictly necessary; your music speaks for itself, of course...); I now see the piece in a different light (I've opened the curtains...), but am unwilling to risk giving in to the temptation of another listen, despite its appeal. A propos, however, I am considering the opening of a fund to enable suitably qualified experts offer the help and guidance to those affected (in any sense...) by these works, as 'normal' A&E would be unlikely to have the resources required for such long-term care. Those casting votes in this way need all the sympathy that we can muster; please make a generous donation. It could be your child next. Thank you in advance. :mellow: