Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ibanez Prestige SR5006

Paulhauser

Although I received this in the end of last year, I had sent it to a luthier right away for installing a ramp.
I got it back this week and thought share a few pics and thoughts on this.

It is the top-of-the-line for Ibanez. Made in Japan and this bass really has it all. Quality woods, impeccable workmanship and a vast array of sounds.
It is a joy to even hold it in my hands, the different woods that are used here have a great feel and can just look at it for minutes really.

This is my 3rd MIJ Ibanez SR 6 string, one I still have (SR3006) the other I sold here (SR1306) and the SR5006 is really an upgrade for those models.
As you can see it has a wenge top and back, the core of the body is mahogany. The neck is wenge/bubinga and the fretboard is wenge, too. Lots of wenge used here :-)

What I really like with the SR Prestige sixers is the ergonomics. For some the spacing is tight, for me it is just right. It is 16.5 mm at the bridge.
It balances really well and a breeze to wear, even though it is not a light bass (cca 9.5 lbs)
As the neck has titanium rods they were able to shave off a couple of mm's from the back of the neck and it is even thinner than the SR3006 but is extremely stable.

The sound is organic, deep with sweet highs and defined mids and the notes are very even across the board.
I find myself using the passive mode a lot but there isn't much of a difference between the passive and the active mode when all EQ is flat. No volume difference either.
The Elixir strings work well on this bass and their silky feeling matches the overall feel of the bass.

I could go on, but I'd rather answer any specific questions one has. I'm a big fan of the Japanese Ibanez basses, so can't praise them enough....

Now the pics:
[attachment=182565:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 25 39.jpg]
[attachment=182564:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 25 50.jpg]
[attachment=182563:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 26 20.jpg]
[attachment=182562:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 26 48.jpg]
[attachment=182561:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 27 11.jpg]

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1422796812' post='2676808']
Although I received this in the end of last year, I had sent it to a luthier right away for installing a ramp.
I got it back this week and thought share a few pics and thoughts on this.

It is the top-of-the-line for Ibanez. Made in Japan and this bass really has it all. Quality woods, impeccable workmanship and a vast array of sounds.
It is a joy to even hold it in my hands, the different woods that are used here have a great feel and can just look at it for minutes really.

This is my 3rd MIJ Ibanez SR 6 string, one I still have (SR3006) the other I sold here (SR1306) and the SR5006 is really an upgrade for those models.
As you can see it has a wenge top and back, the core of the body is mahogany. The neck is wenge/bubinga and the fretboard is wenge, too. Lots of wenge used here :-)

What I really like with the SR Prestige sixers is the ergonomics. For some the spacing is tight, for me it is just right. It is 16.5 mm at the bridge.
It balances really well and a breeze to wear, even though it is not a light bass (cca 9.5 lbs)
As the neck has titanium rods they were able to shave off a couple of mm's from the back of the neck and it is even thinner than the SR3006 but is extremely stable.

The sound is organic, deep with sweet highs and defined mids and the notes are very even across the board.
I find myself using the passive mode a lot but there isn't much of a difference between the passive and the active mode when all EQ is flat. No volume difference either.
The Elixir strings work well on this bass and their silky feeling matches the overall feel of the bass.

I could go on, but I'd rather answer any specific questions one has. I'm a big fan of the Japanese Ibanez basses, so can't praise them enough....

Now the pics:
[attachment=182565:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 25 39.jpg]
[attachment=182564:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 25 50.jpg]
[attachment=182563:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 26 20.jpg]
[attachment=182562:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 26 48.jpg]
[attachment=182561:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 13 27 11.jpg]
[/quote]

If you don't mind, where did you get the ramp? I'm considering one for my SR605!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1422818029' post='2677167']
If you don't mind, where did you get the ramp? I'm considering one for my SR605!
[/quote]

A Hungarian luthier by the sounds of things :)

This is stunning, been tempted every time one has popped up in the classifieds here, must be one of the best value basses out there at the moment.

Thanks Everyone!

The bass is a great value, there is one in the classifieds around £1000 IIRC.

Kev is right, the ramp was made here in Hungary by a local luthier.
Actually the SR3006 also has a ramp, also done by a(nother) local luthier.
[attachment=182635:Photo 2015. 02. 01. 20 47 39.jpg]