Why become a member? ×

Reverse Neck Shim?

Delberthot

I'm in the process of setting up my Yamaha BB425 properly but the one thing I have noticed is that even with the string height adjusted, the saddles are still pretty high resulting in a huge break angle for the strings

I've installed shims on basses before but only when the saddles have bottomed out before reaching the desired string height- is it possible to put the shim in the neck pocket at the end nearest the headstock to bring the angle back slightly so that I can drop the saddles?

Would this have any adverse affect on the bass other than I would notice a slight gap between the neck and the pocket?

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1423519313' post='2685932']
As long as there's plenty of thread in the neck - you should be fine. A mm or two shouldn't weaken the joint (assuming you've got 10 mm + of screw in the neck).
[/quote]A mm or two! :o you'll probably need .010" or .015" that's all & it'll be fine ;)
Edit: A piece of card - business card type is usually about right!

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1423520665' post='2685976']
A mm or two! :o you'll probably need .010" or .015" that's all & it'll be fine ;)
Edit: A piece of card - business card type is usually about right!
[/quote]

Depends on the amount of adjustment you need!
I ended up putting about a 2 mm thick shim in my Ibanez neck pocket to get the action down from sky high! (It already had a mm thick shim in it at that!).

The general rule is - If you want 2mm adjustment at the bridge - you'll need less than 2 mm of shim. About 2mm of shim gave me about a 4 or 5 mm adjustment at the bridge - but it's a 24 fret neck. a 20 fret neck will be slightly different.

Cool - I'm going to do it at the weekend.

I normally use kitchen worktop veneer edging as it's not going to compress when I tighten the screws.

I might be lucky and find that someone put a shim in at the factory as can often happen and removing this will do exactly what I need.